Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard a lot of "good old" cork&graphite friends of fisher. Old Sage, IMX.. I'm too "young" at this "bussines"-and can not even imagine how many of them!
I think it would be interesting to remember all those rods that were a perfect pleasure in the past.
BTW, what about Winston 1015 WLTB? Blanks are still available now.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Sage 8150-4 would top my list of best rods no longer made

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Fly rods made of "S-Glass.' Lamiglas still produces some rods with this material, but don't think lighter fly rods are on the short list.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Powell "Scandinavian Salmon"
Don´t think they were ever sold in the US. Fortunately I own three of them:)

·
Registered
941 Posts
I know, I know, this is a double-handed thread, but Sage's RPL 8100 (2 pc, 10' 8wt) IMHO was one of the finest single-handed steelhead/salmon rods ever made. Smooth, powerful. I was so afraid that something might become of mine a few years ago that I bought a used one on ebay. And I already have an agreement with Kerry Burkheimer that if they both break, he'll make me a duplicate.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
The original Sage 10151 - before it broke, then broke, then broke, then broke... It is a crying shame that the problem could not have been fixed while maintaining its casting characteristics - as the original was one of the sweetest sticks I ever cast :( .

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
I don't mind that the 8150 is out of production, mine continues to reinvent itself year after year. So Tip, now that you've sold yours, I'll trade you mine for your LHW 4 1/4" re-issue :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But what about

Winston 1015 WLTB? Thinking of building rod on this blank...
KUSH
Too many "broke again"-what were the reasons? There is ability to buy 10151, but the rod has an "additional" bandage on the third piece(owner made it), as he says:"Just for power". Perhaps it's a common problem?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Sidebar question on the 8150-4. Very old memory says that Sage 're-designated this as the 9150-4. True with a bit of tweeking of the blank for the 'new' rating?

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
Sage 8124 3 piece brownie.

I know Sage makes the 8126 but those 2 extra inches seem to make a big differnce.

Oh boy, I can hear the "2 extra inches" remarks already.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Fred,

The 9150 and the 8150 are two diff. beasts. SAGE might have used the 8150 as inspiration as they were both a little stouter and faster than the other traditional rods they made but they are not the same rod.

tip

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Second Choice

Kerry's post jogged my memory a bit and I would like to nominate another gem from the past. The SAGE 9140-3. They replaced it with the 9141 but it is not the same rod as its predecessor.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
an 8150 by any other name, 9150, is not an 8150!

It is a nice thing to hope for but the 9150 is nothing at all like the 8150.

I agree with the 8150 and also the 8100 which I started two handed casting on. Used to have a 10150 and the Winston 15. Both very nice actions.

The great thing about the 8150 is the staying power. Even with the imperfect tip section I still find that the better I get at casting the more I like the rod. Sadly I had a client the other day with an 8150 and a Skagit head. At lunch time I put an Ian Gordon Spey on instead and started him down the path. BTW, he got a fish fishing greased line that afternoon, a good omen.

This is really the only floating line rod I will put down one of my Clan sticks for. I never understood why they did not come out with a comparable 6/7 or 7/8 for rivers like the Deschutes.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Rybkin Alex said:
Winston 1015 WLTB? Thinking of building rod on this blank...
KUSH
Too many "broke again"-what were the reasons? There is ability to buy 10151, but the rod has an "additional" bandage on the third piece(owner made it), as he says:"Just for power". Perhaps it's a common problem?

The original Brownie 10151 tended to break just below (2-3 inches) the bottom ferrule. I broke 4 or 5 before Sage replaced it with a brown/greenie. While still a nice rod it was missing something the original had. My rocollection is the breakage problem was much more common with long belly lines

1 - 20 of 25 Posts