Spey Pages banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Winston Trout Rods, Sage and Burkie Steelhead Rods, Abel, Orvis, Tibor and Islander reels.
84 Posts
I ordered a reel late October of last year. At that time I asked if the reel could be shipped by the postal system due to the reasons that we have discussed here. Not a problem, Danielsson agreed to use the postal service and all was well. Took a little longer but what dosen't these days. Reel arrived, no brokerage fees, taxes or duties as per the other Danielsson's in the past and there have been a few. And I don't think this is a fluke. I have read somewhere a while back so it's fuzzy, that there is some kind of trade agreement somewhere which is why their reels have always come through fine with the postal system. It's not the luck for several reel to come through that way. Not just for me but others here as well.

So I ordered a reel this week and request the postal service again. Danielsson did not want to do that this time and I'm not exactly sure why. They did say something about rising costs. I explained the reasons why and at this time it was explained to me that they weren't happy with Fedex and were in the process of switching to DHL. I said I didn't think they were any better with respect to brokerage fees, handling charges etc. Said they would check it out and get back to me and they did. Said there would be a cost of $11.50 Canadian so I agreed to go ahead with the order.

And low and behold don't I get an email from DHL this morning requesting $64.06. Not happy.

Thanks for the rant, Leo.
I ordered a reel late October of last year. At that time I asked if the reel could be shipped by the postal system due to the reasons that we have discussed here. Not a problem, Danielsson agreed to use the postal service and all was well. Took a little longer but what dosen't these days. Reel arrived, no brokerage fees, taxes or duties as per the other Danielsson's in the past and there have been a few. And I don't think this is a fluke. I have read somewhere a while back so it's fuzzy, that there is some kind of trade agreement somewhere which is why their reels have always come through fine with the postal system. It's not the luck for several reel to come through that way. Not just for me but others here as well.

So I ordered a reel this week and request the postal service again. Danielsson did not want to do that this time and I'm not exactly sure why. They did say something about rising costs. I explained the reasons why and at this time it was explained to me that they weren't happy with Fedex and were in the process of switching to DHL. I said I didn't think they were any better with respect to brokerage fees, handling charges etc. Said they would check it out and get back to me and they did. Said there would be a cost of $11.50 Canadian so I agreed to go ahead with the order.

And low and behold don't I get an email from DHL this morning requesting $64.06. Not happy.

Thanks for the rant, Leo.
id tell DHL to bill Danielsin. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Does anyone in the US have first-hand experience receiving a DHL shipment from Danielsson this year? I am curious if the duties charged would be on par with what Canadian buyers have to fork over.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Does anyone in the US have first-hand experience receiving a DHL shipment from Danielsson this year? I am curious if the duties charged would be on par with what Canadian buyers have to fork over.
I will let you know, I ordered an L5W just a few minutes ago.

·
Registered
773 Posts
As per a few posts up, there should be no duty to pay from Sweden into the US. You can check on various free duty calculators online.

·
Registered
80 Posts
As per a few posts up, there should be no duty to pay from Sweden into the US. You can check on various free duty calculators online.
Thank you. I missed your earlier post and the calculator I found on online spit out some crazy numbers. User error on my part, I am sure. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Thank you. I missed your earlier post and the calculator I found on online spit out some crazy numbers. User error on my part, I am sure. Thanks for the clarification.
Try this one: Import Duty Calculator gives you about 5 calculations free per day.
I put in value $300, shipping $25 and 0 insurance. Calculates 0 tax/duty.
I think you don't get charged tax/duty until you have some huge amount like $5k or so.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My L5W 8twelve arrived just now. 4 day turnaround from Sweden to Washington state with no additional fees or real trouble. Two thumbs up from me.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I am not disappointed, immediate attention to orders and can not blame them for CDN, Taxes and duties...At least the gear is quality, my 8- Twelve spool will be here on Friday ordered this morning

·
Spey Is The Way
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The gear is excellent. It's just too bad they won't use the postal system for Canadians.

Leo

41 - 50 of 50 Posts