Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Spey Is The Way
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a reel late October of last year. At that time I asked if the reel could be shipped by the postal system due to the reasons that we have discussed here. Not a problem, Danielsson agreed to use the postal service and all was well. Took a little longer but what dosen't these days. Reel arrived, no brokerage fees, taxes or duties as per the other Danielsson's in the past and there have been a few. And I don't think this is a fluke. I have read somewhere a while back so it's fuzzy, that there is some kind of trade agreement somewhere which is why their reels have always come through fine with the postal system. It's not the luck for several reel to come through that way. Not just for me but others here as well.

So I ordered a reel this week and request the postal service again. Danielsson did not want to do that this time and I'm not exactly sure why. They did say something about rising costs. I explained the reasons why and at this time it was explained to me that they weren't happy with Fedex and were in the process of switching to DHL. I said I didn't think they were any better with respect to brokerage fees, handling charges etc. Said they would check it out and get back to me and they did. Said there would be a cost of $11.50 Canadian so I agreed to go ahead with the order.

And low and behold don't I get an email from DHL this morning requesting $64.06. Not happy.

Thanks for the rant, Leo.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
That's why I won't order unless USPS shipped. Canada post brokerage fees are 10$, plus taxes of course. Maybe 10 years ago I purchased a Musky net from a shop in the US, requesting and paying for regular ground postage (which was always USPS). They kindly decided on their own to upgrade my shipping at no cost to me to UPS 48h. Well lo and behold UPS charged me brokerage fees plus the taxes and the rest. Ended costing me an extra 100$ Canadian... I wasn't happy with the shop; they wouldn't compensate me. Lesson learned. USPS-Canada post....

Sorry to hear that Leo!

·
Registered
613 Posts
I communicated with them about this issue a while back--they said they would look into it. I really don't understand why after many years of using the PO for delivery, they decided to use Fed Ex and now DHL. For international transactions, I would much prefer the PO myself.

·
Spey Is The Way
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would rather pay a little more for the postal system than what I just had to do. Obviously they don't believe or understand what we're trying to communicate to them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I ordered a reel late October of last year. At that time I asked if the reel could be shipped by the postal system due to the reasons that we have discussed here. Not a problem, Danielsson agreed to use the postal service and all was well. Took a little longer but what dosen't these days. Reel arrived, no brokerage fees, taxes or duties as per the other Danielsson's in the past and there have been a few. And I don't think this is a fluke. I have read somewhere a while back so it's fuzzy, that there is some kind of trade agreement somewhere which is why their reels have always come through fine with the postal system. It's not the luck for several reel to come through that way. Not just for me but others here as well.

So I ordered a reel this week and request the postal service again. Danielsson did not want to do that this time and I'm not exactly sure why. They did say something about rising costs. I explained the reasons why and at this time it was explained to me that they weren't happy with Fedex and were in the process of switching to DHL. I said I didn't think they were any better with respect to brokerage fees, handling charges etc. Said they would check it out and get back to me and they did. Said there would be a cost of $11.50 Canadian so I agreed to go ahead with the order.

And low and behold don't I get an email from DHL this morning requesting $64.06. Not happy.

Oh, that just stinks. I am glad to know about this as I was planning on another purchase this season and wouldn't have thought twice about shipping since my previous orders were fine.

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
352 Posts

DHL is the worst courier for brokerage fees, followed by UPS and then FedEx which seems to have the cheapest shipping and handling fees in the Toronto area.
I actually still waiting for a Covid delayed enroute tracked UPS package with a Sharpes cane Spey rod I bought in early December that was suppose to be my Christmas present.poor service with top dollar fees is very frustrating.
Regards from the Restigouche...Jim

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thx for sharing Leo,
I will also wait for a purchase I was considering... frustrating as I really appreciate Danielsson's reels...

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
DHL put the screws to me also. A number of years back I sent a Charlton reel to 3M for service and they returned it via DHL...got stung on "brokerage fees" to the tune of $75 for a reel I already owned. 3M were very understanding of my justified gripe and sent me a line at no charge. Being in Canada, I guess I am attuned to the expectation of getting worked over on shipments. When they go well; I smile. My last purchase of a reel from another member in Denmark arrived via Canada Post with the value declared and insured and no brokerage or duties...big smile.

·
Spey Is The Way
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My beef is with Danielsson's choice of shipper and telling me it would cost me $11.50 and having that turn into $64.06.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well, you have documentation of their original $11.50 shipping quote, right? Or did you not get that in writing?

·
Registered
103 Posts
That’s exactly why I prefer to buy from the SP Classifieds here:). Too many $100+ surprises on purchases from out of country where the vendor indicated minimal duties or brokerage fees.
In their defense, they probably didn’t know for sure, and trying to get an estimate from Customs is near impossible. It was sure simple in the “good old days”. 😉

·
Spey Is The Way
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The $11.50 is in an email from Danielsson. When they said they would not use the postal system (which they had been since they went factory direct) I was prepared to cancel the order and I told them that. It was at that point I was told they would look into it further. At the end of that day I was told it would be $11.50 or 2.5% and I could place the order or get a refund. I went ahead with the order having decided on their info I could live with $11.50.

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
Is there the possibility that Danielsson asked DHL, and DHL misinterpreted the question or just gave shoddy info? Sucks either way. If it applies to all their exports, it will be unfortunate for anglers and reel makers alike.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I'm confident that 11.50$ is the shipping fee. And probably what Leo was charged. What they didn't mention is the BROKERAGE FEE which is different. Not the same cost. And not paid by the shipper, but by the receiver to the shipping company directly. Like I said, Canada post also has a brokerage fee (administrative cost) of flat rate around 10$. Which is reasonable. The 50, 60 and 75$ extra for UPS, or in this case DHL, is not normal. Danielson should know this and at least have informed you. IMHO. Same for my musky net. The shop had no idea. All they ever paid was the 30$ shipping fee they pay to UPS. They didn,t know I would get squeezed for such a large amount. But they were inflexible...

Anyways, misunderstandings are always unfortunate and frustrating.

·
Spey Is The Way
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The $11.50 was not the shipping fee. The shipping fee was $28.63 USD paid to Danielsson in the purchase price of the reel. The $11.50 was the price quoted to Danielsson by DHL for importation into Canada which Danielsson quoted to me which became $64.06.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up Leo. Different fees indeed and a differing quote. Not right...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
IMO, Fedex is the best .They use Canada Customs as the "broker"
Jim is right, UPS is the s##ts .They use Derringer as a broker which is entirely OWNED by UPS
I had one of my paintings that was on exhibition at the USN Museum in Pensacola .The Curator returned it by UPS who charged exorbitant import duties on MY work .I refused acceptance and it was shipped back to Florida .It was shipped back by Fedex via American Airlines .Got a call from Customs that it was waiting at their Warehouse in Dorval Airport . I ran over on my lunch break . to pick it up . TThe agent's attitude changed completely when I told him where I worked LOL

·
Registered
23 Posts
Something is strange. It's about a trading transaction in between a EU country and Canada, for which there is a trade agreement. I do not know all about that (is fishing gear in concern?) but it looks something must be investigated onto the broker which might be doing easy money on the final purchaser... My advice is to to ask if they are legitimate to ask for so much.
May be it is just the VAT at the end of the selling process, which is to be claimed by Canadian administration?

R

·
Registered
773 Posts
As per a previous thread like this, what is owed is clearly shown on websites such as simplyduty.com. For example all goods that were bought from the EU from the UK were previously free of VAT/duty. After Brexit we now have to pay that just like we do for any other country in the rest of the world. What you owe if you import an item from another country to yours, using information such as what was the purchase cost, what was the shipping cost, what sort of item it is, determines the charge. The site (or any like it) will do the calculation and display the owed tax/duty. If it's collected by a firm they often add a charge on for the service - here in the UK it's about £12. This is non-refundable even if you challenge the fee and win!
If you send it by normal post the vat/duty is often missed/overlooked, but almost always you get nailed if it is sent by courier.
Either accept the charges as a necessary evil if you can't get the goods shipped by normal post, or buy from local shops - who could probably do with the business!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts