Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just started tying this style of pattern that uses a twisted hitch on PowerPro to attach the hook at the very back of the rabbit strip. Lots of fun, and i really enjoy messing around with composite loops. That being said, I have not fished one of these flies.
For those that have a lot of time swimming this type of pattern, do you have a problem with the hook fouling on the fly or leader, and how do you feel about hookup percentage when you do get that precious grab? thanks for any feedback

Attachments

·
no expectations
104 Posts
I fish this style frequently. It is quite obvious when it is fouled in my experience. Quick fix and back in the water. Trimming the leather portion at proper length seems to be the only nuance i can think of.
Hook-up ratio seems to be no different to me.

I fished a dirty hoh yesterday for five hours, fouled on itself once, two grabs with one hooked.

Last, it is quite common to make these too bulky. A sparse forward station swims (and casts) better

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
I always did the twisted hitch with hook down for that very reason. That being said, doing them hook up like the originators has accounted for a lot of fish

·
Registered
297 Posts
I just started fishing this style of fly. Was rewarded with a nice winter native. One thing that helps keep it from fouling is the length of the tail. I have success with the tail (power pro) close to the same length as the body, maybe just a little longer.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Agree with all of these experiences. The really longish Hohs that are pushing 4” can fowl especially with a tailing loop, mid air collision. You can usually feel the fly is fowled when stripping the line back up. I also make it a habit to double Spey the fly up close so I can see that it’s long in the water vs. a shorter (fouled) presence.

They are super effective.

DH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts