Spey Pages banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
George Cook let me try a "custom" Skagit line on my Torridge today. At my level of casting, it worked pretty well for me, and George of course could rocket the line out.

Turns out the line was a WC 9/10/11 belly with a WC 7/8/9 floating Tip 1, for a 38' head of about 400 or so grains. This on a rod "rated" for 320 - 350 gr. Interesting how different lines, tapers, lengths, and grain distribution can widen the variety of lines available for a given rod. We overhead this line a bit, too. I found it a little heavy, but doable. I like my Guidelines head at 335 gr better for overhead.

After playing with George's line for a while, I put my GL back on, with the extra 12' single-hand type 3 tip. (This is an intermediate head.) I found I could underhand that baby better than anything.

I did notice that when I was shooting out casts with the above set-up (double spey, river right, sometimes with a poke; or just a simple switch cast), the best casts came when the anchor was out in front of me by at least a rod's length, and within a rod's length downstream to my right. When I attepted this with a floating head, I wasn't quite as successful. With the sink-tip on, and the resulting "sunk" anchor, an I performing a quintessential skagit cast? Does the "deeper" anchor make it easier to put more energy into the D-loop?

I'm happy that it seems to work; afterall, it's fun to have that running line slap the rod. I just wonder from a technical standpoint what I'm doing.

Thanks!

Tom

1 - 1 of 1 Posts