Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the difference between having a 6/7/8 weight line on the 8 weight gary anderson gray and a 8/9/10 on it? I am thinking of getting a 6 weight tfo in the future. I am thinking if I had a 6/7/8 weight rio windcutter multi tip (on a ross big game reel) on the 8 weight gary anderson 8 weight gray, I could also use the reel (with 6/7/8 weight rio) on the 6 weight tfo. Gary Anderson recommended a 8/9/10 weight for the 8 weight.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
The WC 6/7/8 weighs 455grns. and the 8/9/10 weighs 585 grns, the difference being 130 grns. The Anderson 8 wt would be underlined quite a bit. You could use the 6/7/8 with an WC upgrade (600 grns)and be in the ballpark grain wise on the Anderson rod or get the 8/9/10 as Gary suggest and use it with tip 2 removed ( 502 grns) on the 6 wt TFO.
These suggestions may or may not work for you. Only time on the water with this tackle will tell you. Since you have a rod maker that has told you what line he thinks best suits his rod I would be inclined to start there.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
The Windcutter Upgrade is a great option. It is my go to option with my Sage 6126 when the wind is too much for my MS 7/8 or if I want to go deep with tips and the tip compensator.

Also, if you don't add tip one to the end of the upgrade, it works great in lobbing a big indicator, a tungsten bead and a big fly. Just attach the appropriate tippet to the looped end of the upgrade and attch that your indicator and run the fishing tippet down from that connection.

·
loco alto!
2,993 Posts
MJC is right on. Take Gary Anderson's advice and get the 8/9/10.

Also check out RIO's line/rod compatibility chart on their website. It / he (Simon) recommends that same line - WC 8/9/10 - for the TFO.

Maybe no one ever metioned this to you, but spey rod ratings and line compatibility are as near to voodoo as fly fishing gets. 99% of the time, it is impossible to use a rod's printed rating to select a line. Only those with a lot of on-the-water experience with different manufacturers and lines can penetrate the voodoo. Simon's chart, and the archives on this site, provide the best starting point for information on specific rod-line matches (and mis-matches). A lot of us have dropped too much money unnecessarily figuring out this mess. Learn from our mistakes and trials.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
he (Simon) recommends that same line - WC 8/9/10 - for the TFO.
Simon recommends the 8/9/10 for the 8wt TFO. The 6wt TFO is not listed as yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts