Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in April right after fishing with Ed Ward the week of the show and our spey clave at Fall City, I came up with a cast that makes the perry poke quick to set up on the right bank. Essentially it combines a light snake roll start with a perry poke finish, and posted about the find as "snake poke or perry roll".

So here's your chance, did I or did I not come up with the cast?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Welllll maybe I need to change my 'vote.'

Noticed DLoop is mentioning the Snake-Poke in another post.:hehe:

·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fred -

Hope things are well.

Precisely! I noticed that many people are mentioning it, Kush, Aaron, et. al. - but this is precisely why I am asking the question now. I am just wondering whether my discovery of this last March / April (see post) was the first or not because of this acceptance.

BTW - I've already checked with the "Skagit powers that be" and it was new and interesting & they'd check it out. Perhaps I should just go with "the Skagit masters" reply.

I will let Ed's reply be the tie-breaker if the jury cops out. ;)

I thought it would be a fun poll just the same.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
You're all wrong!

I invented that cast myself, several years ago. I probably won't get proper credit for it, though. The name I gave it was probably too awkward: "@*#+%!! Now look what I've done! Let's see if I can salvage this %*^&@ mess!":mad:

·
Registered
273 Posts
No, I invented it!

Back when I first was learning to double hand cast, I made this gawd awlful looking thing and name it Klem's folly. I'am sure it's the same cast. Sorry Juro, but I claim it! But I will relinquish the title to you.

Today, Jan 5, in Salem, Oregon we are snowed/sleeted/ freezing rained in. Therefore, this silly post. Klem

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Snake-Poke

Seeing as how Speycasting has been around for so long, it is probably impossible to say that someone hasn't done some variation of everything at least once. But, it is the person/people who take a "something" and refine and define it that are usually given credit for its "invention". And, I would add that this is rightfully so. I did not vote on this poll because I don't feel that it is up to me to decide or to influence any decision on the matter. What I would suggest Juro, is that you write an article on the cast, detailing how it is done - especially including any little "tricks" that you have found useful - and listing the occasions when you think the cast is useful, and also comparing it against other casts that might be used in similar circumstances. If the general masses decide to incorporate this cast into the Speycasting world, then you will be the one that can be credited for its introduction to the world.

·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good advice Riveraddict, thanks. Credit is deserved by the person who does the work, I agree completely and that's the bottom line.

To all:

I have to establish that my poll question was more rhetorical than self-serving, as I care less about it than appearances may indicate. But I have the following thoughts on the topic...

When you think about it, credit is a funny thing in societies. Where some people are willing to take it for what they did not earn, others are unwilling to grant it for what is deserved. Some people want it, others don't have a need for it - but it's always there.

It's a funny thing when I've shared something hard-earned with people (like a hotspot at a certain tide phase, a boulder garden just past tidewater, or a consistent fly pattern) and have them claim it as their hard-earned discovery, sometimes even to me.

Human nature and the way people see other people is funny too. People like to think of other persons as having exactly one major character and don't do well thinking of them as being multi-dimensional, diverse and capable in a myriad of roads in life. It takes a strong will, sacrifice, integrity, and lots of extra hours to keep it sorted out in an uncompromising manner. Perhaps that's why some people are uncomfortable with granting trust to people with a lot of active channels in their life.

I have no problem separating my family, the forum, CND, Chatham Angler Guide Service, the Pagewizards web business, and my recent marketing consulting stints. They are like separate projects in a high-tech middle manager role, just balls in the air. I have not crossed any lines, but will take every legitimate opportunity as a reward for building the Forum without taking any pay and having invested thousands in the cause over the years as co-founder.

But I digress,

In retrospect it's those who do not wish for credit but forge ahead turning the most stones, discovering the most for themselves and for others that are the true contributors to the sport.

Indeed, credit is a funny thing in societies. You can't get it by asking, you can't get it by taking, it can only be granted and rarely to the one who made the discovery.

I've since decided I want nothing to do with it! :)

Juro

·
Registered
630 Posts
Juro, I think I invented its twin...

the SNAKE SNAG POKE :rolleyes: When I first started doing the Snake Roll, I tended to make the initial loop too big, which brought the line and fly too close, sometimes hanging on my vest, jacket or waders. When things got too close or snagged on me, I'd have to dump the cast in front of me, unhook or clear the fly and leader, then form the D-loop and complete the cast. So is it possible that that's also the real truth about how you came up with it-hooking yourself?:chuckle:

Regardless of its origins, it's useful.
Carl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts