Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone.
I am new to the board and the spey-world as well. I am wondering about the DiamondBack 126910? The price is right!
Opinions....good or bad, are sought.
I have a J.W.Young 1535, a Young Beaudex 4" and a Young Pridex 4". Are these suitable as to balance? Too heavy, or too light?
Lastly, spigot ferrules? I am used to the tip female over butt style and these look a little odd?weak? Am i paranoid or are there any problems with them that a new-to-spey-guy should know about?
Thanks guys, great site and loads of info. Iam in!!!
Regards
Dwayne Miller
aka Salmon Chaser
><)))*>

Attachments

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I have no experience with that rod but can comment on spigot ferrules. They have great flex characteristics, and flex is important to spey casting. As far as durability, I've handled hundreds of spigot rods never seen a spigot break, well except for a corner taken off when a 12wt line was overhand cast on an un-taped ferrule that had come loose at the trade show. The corner came off, but it's still that way and has not only been cast a lot since then but has landed some large fish. I still fish it. I don't think you have to worry about durability.

Also, there are many spey casting rod options available in very affordable price ranges on the market today. An old nor'eastern saying.... don't be "penny smart and pound foolish". Cast a few rods and make sure you have something that will deliver on what spey casting has to offer.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
There are quite a few very nice rods that are priced between $250.00 and $400.00 US that you should take a look at before you make a purchase of a 2-hander. The CND Expert and Custom Series rods, Temple Fork, St Croix, Lamiglas, Heritage, and Loop Black and Yeloow Series rods should all be looked at and considered before your purchase.

Juro gave very solid and honest in his "penny wise and pound foolish" comment. You need to consider the type of rod action you like, whether it be slow, fast, or somewhere in between; the size of the rivers you will be fishing; the size flies you are going to be using; and both the average and mazimum size fish you will be catching in order to make an informed and wise decision one getting a rod.

If you are planning on having just one rod to handle all your needs, a 14ft 9 wt would be the best choice. It is to the 2-hand world what the 9 ft 5 or 6 wt is to the trout world. A rod that will cast small flies and large flies and handle nearly any fish you might encounter. The Diamondback you are considering, is only 12'6" long, which is on the short side of 2-handers, somewhat like using a 7' rod for trout. And the Diamondback rods I have cast have all been fairly slow action rods without a lot of power in the butt. The CND Experts, although sold at a very reasonable (some would say low) price point, have a very nice progressive action that has power in the butt for fighting fish and casting long if need be.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
if the price

is what you consider `right ' then you've already sold yourself a rod,,but watchitbuddy!,,,once you get to swingin',it'll be all over,,and i'll bank on it that;most folks own more than one two hander,like golf clubs,,the `35 Young's should balance most rods to 15 ft.,but i prefer the `40,you can wrap some leadcore as a base,ala JD,on the spool,one thing i'll do is wrap some pencil lead around the handle while on the water;maybe the rod will feel better,maybe not,try it,helped on the 18's,,there's plenty of tackle for sale here,are you aware of that?,forget my rods,i'm gonna keep em all:chuckle: :hehe: :D

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input

but I have decided on the 12'6". You gotta start somewhere right? On the other hand, i own more than one Hardy reel, Young reel, 5 wt, 6wt through 9wt single hand rods, many cane rods, miles of fly lines, well.....you get the point. The rod is new, unfished, and like i said , it is a good price.
Thanks for your help lads, it is appreciated.
Salmon Chaser
><)))*>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts