Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.
I broke this rod on the third day of use last yearand sent it back to Cortland where they replaced the mid. i have used the rod sparingly since and today was the first day this season. I taped her up at 8:00am and then again at lunch time. The rod was working well and the only casts i used today were single speys with the odd overhead cast thrown in. At 1:00pm I hooked a 34"kelt that fought preety well but nothing that should tax the rod. Halfway through the fight and on a build up for a jump the same tip ferrule snapped!! :mad: :mad: Jesus!! I never liked the look of spigot ferrules since i firdt laid eyes on them and now two breaks to the same ferrule!! I am sending her to Cortland in the morning with hopes of a totally different rod. Anyone know if they can replace with a non-spigotted rod?
I havent got an email back from them yet so we'll see what happens. I did land the fish though with the tip hanging by the tape. Nice fish and i'll post apic somteime of the kelt that blew my rod apart :devil:
Salmon Chaser
><)))*>
www3.pei.sympatico.ca/flyfish

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yipes!!!! Definately a frustrating situation. Don't think it is the spigot ferrels to tell you the truth. Would think they had worked their way loose and broke that way but with the way you took care of them I seriously doubt it. Weird how some rods break in the same way/spots. Know of one manufacturer who's rod broke in the tip top underneath the snake guide on multiple rods. Why? Good question and for someone with a superior IQ to ponder. Not sure what to tell you other than I feel your frustration and hope DB takes really, really good care of you and figures out how to fix what presents itself as a possible design flaw.
Chris

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi chris.
Definately a design or material flaw. On the other hand I have nothing but good things to say about Lisa Cross and the Diamondback/Cortland warranty and service department. Top notch actually. Maybe they are so good because of all the practice they get :chuckle:
I hope the problem gets seen too though cause I am stuck with a rod that i dont want to use and cant possibly sell. I asked the question about spigots the last time this happened and no one seemed to have a problem with them, so maybe i just got the lemon.
I expect a response from DB today so we'll see what they are suggesting---this time.
Salmon Chaser
><)))*>

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Rod-Killer!!

As promised, here is the spring salmon that blew up my DB 12'6".
In all honesty???Worth every snap, crackle and pop that rod made.
Salmon Chaser
><)))*>

Attachments

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
the cortland speyrod

get one of the cortland 13 ft'rs,,with your guide's discount one or two :hihi: of those should be within your grasp,i'm going to have to buy a couple shortspeys myself for the coming season,and i'm down to the TFOutfitters and the cortland jobs,both come with tubes and are multi-piece=storage!,plus,they can be had easily,something i feel is important if you take first timers out and they ~suddenly~,want one :lildevl:as for spigots breaking=i'd be more scared of tapered joints failing myself :confused:

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
offered to upgrade!

I have had a couple of emails with DB and had the choice of
1- Fix existing rod.
2- Replace with a sleeve type ferrule system.
3- Upgrade to the 2005 12'6" 7/8wt.
I went with door number 3 :razz:
The new rod has a black matte finish as opposed to the diamond braid and the 7/8 will be more at home on my Island Salmon streams. Here's to hoping this stick will last :roll:
Dana, if you read this i am curious if you have tried the new Salmon/Steelhead model yet? Anyone else wiggle one?
Salmon Chaser
><)))*>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts