Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started this one about a month ago and did the entire body. It had been sitting on my bench since then waiting for a wing, and it took a while for me to build up the courage to finish it.

Sunday night I stuck it in the vise again and complete everthing except roof topping and horns. Last night i finished it off.

Pretty happy overall. There are a couple of stylistic and proportional choices I made which I think are not perfect - some you win some you lose I suppose.

THis is probably one of the most complex flies I've tied, its right up there with, if not above, Jock Scott, in terms of fiddliness - every thread wraps counts on this one, and if you've too many it will show....

Hope you all like it. Hook is a Nobel HB from Ronn Lucas.

Eunan

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Wow Eunan, this thing really is amazing. Everything from the body to all those wings are a crazy showing of your abilities. Very impressive.

·
Knee Deep
1,249 Posts
Brilliant tying, Eunan! Is it me, or does the JC look a little short?? Not criticizing. I'm just curious if that is a stylistic change, or a pattern requirement?

I think it's my favorite to date!!

Tony

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all!

Brilliant tying, Eunan! Is it me, or does the JC look a little short?? Not criticizing. I'm just curious if that is a stylistic change, or a pattern requirement?

I think it's my favorite to date!!

Tony
THe JC is one aspect that could be corrected. Also, the size of the hook I tied it on made for a short throat (hard to find Jay long enough to fit a 2/0 never mind 4/0), as I didnt want to use the usual dye Gallina sub for jay.
The other things include a lower tail. longer underwing and main wing, with the former going at least to the back of the hook, especially with a lower tail.

However, like i said, i'm happy to have it completed and look like it does, because like many other flies lately, it could have ended up getting the 'blade' treatment.

If i was to tie it again, i'd do it one a 1/0XL or 2/0XL hook....xl to accommodate the body.

Eunan

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Thanks all!

THe JC is one aspect that could be corrected. Also, the size of the hook I tied it on made for a short throat (hard to find Jay long enough to fit a 2/0 never mind 4/0), as I didnt want to use the usual dye Gallina sub for jay.
The other things include a lower tail. longer underwing and main wing, with the former going at least to the back of the hook, especially with a lower tail.

However, like i said, i'm happy to have it completed and look like it does, because like many other flies lately, it could have ended up getting the 'blade' treatment.

If i was to tie it again, i'd do it one a 1/0XL or 2/0XL hook....xl to accommodate the body.

Eunan
I like your thoughts, Eunan. While few even dare to attempt an Atlantic, you not only accomplish but also elevate if possible.

Kudos,
Adrian

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
She's Purdy for sure, great on the segmentation for the floss work, all around great work.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Wow...

You know the more I tie, and the more I try and try to improve, and get better at all this...I seem to get a deeper and deeper appreciation for the depth of the skill and talent that some tiers on this board have...

This is just another example that practically takes my breath away....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts