Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming one has an appropriate scale available, it is my understanding that when determining the line weight of a line for a single-handed rod, one weighs the "first 30 feet" of line. I have three questions.

1. Does this mean the first 30 feet of taper or literally the first thirty feet measuring from the tip at which one would tie on the leader?

2. How does one measure in order to determine the weight of spey lines?

3. Am I correct in assuming that for shooting heads you just measure the head itself?

Thanks in advance for your help.

CK

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
This is an excellent question.

Spey lines are rated without a real grains over length formula, much to everyone's chagrin. The consensus among folks I've talked to is in favor of a grains/length rating.

Rod rating would be yet another story since there are more factors at play - stroke preferences, casting styles, etc. Perhaps a median grain rating would be helpful, around which a caster could play with heavier or lighter lines.

So a rod with a 750 grain median rating would work well with a 725/65 (midspey/long delta-ish) or a 780/84 (Airflo traditionalish) or if fairly stout an 800/105 (extended), etc.

May sound complicated but that's pretty much what we have to go thru. Thanks to manufacturers like Rio and Airflo who clearly post their grain/length info, it's not too bad of a task.

·
Registered
439 Posts
How to determine line weight

Start by casting a double taper line a couple weights over your rod rating to see what feels good to you. If you end up getting a big open loop you have gone to far. Mark the line at your sweet spot and weigh it. That will be your sweet spot. Look for lines at that grain weight.
Good luck.
Leroy...................

·
Registered
104 Posts
rod load weight

Good topic. I've been wondering about this but have been too lazy to ask.

Do you think a rod loads with a specific grain weight, or with a grain-to-length ratio?

For example, a rod may load with a 700 grain windcutter having a 55' head. Would a 90' belly weighing 700 grains be the best weignt for a long belly, or does the weight need to change with the belly length?

If the weight changes, should it have more weight or less than the short belly?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Line weight

Determining Line Weight

Assuming one has an appropriate scale available, it is my understanding that when determining the line weight of a line for a single-handed rod, one weighs the "first 30 feet" of line. I have three questions.

1. Does this mean the first 30 feet of taper or literally the first thirty feet measuring from the tip at which one would tie on the leader?

2. How does one measure in order to determine the weight of spey lines?

3. Am I correct in assuming that for shooting heads you just measure the head itself?

Smolt-
1. The first 30 feet from the front where u tie the leader. This assumes the line is to spec, and not one with an off-spec too long level tip section.
2. Weigh the head section of the spey line, from the very front to the joint of the head's back taper to the running line. You now know the grain weight of the line's head section, but no standard exists for spey rods. You then go to Rio's or Airflo's web site and use their published standards as a guide, per Juro's advice.
3. Yes, generally.

·
fly on little wing
1,099 Posts
now the engineer is wondering

ok, now I had to go and measure my lines. Of course, I am finding some interesting things out. I'll write more with the results later.

voodoofly

·
fly on little wing
1,099 Posts
results and "trust but verify"

Hello again,

I finished weighing my lines that I wanted to and sorting out the problems. First off I'm going to say that from now on I will weigh all my lines before they go on the reel. After you read this you may want to do the same.

All the lines I refer to are premium lines, fresh from the fly shop or manufacture. I will not disclose names but you are familiar with them. I do want to say that my fly shop and the manufacture I returned product to were very helpful and service was their number one priority. I ended up weighing 6 lines. Two were incorrect and 4 were correct. Now for the weights and problem details.

I bought a new WF8F line last fall for in-close single handed fishing. It worked great until I tried to cast around 30'. It just didn't load the 8wt rod. The rod was also newer so I was thinking it may be in the rod stiffness, so I bought a DT8F from a different manufacture. This combo worked well and I fished it thru the fall, winter and this spring.

Last month I got around to weighing the WF8F (this thread reminded me I needed to do this). It came in at 162 grains. A near perfect 6 weight. Obviously, the line was incorrectly packaged. I weighed the DT8F. It came in around 212 grains. A near perfect 8 weight. I went back to the fly shop I bought the WF8F and they asked if I wanted a refund. I said no, just a different line. I wanted a type 3 sink tip. They didn't have, so I got a 200 grain sink tip from a different manufacture than the WF8F. (This is excellent customer service) I have a 300 grain from this manufacture that I really like. I went to the scales and calipers because I wanted to check out the differences between the 200 and 300, so I measure and weigh. What? Are you you kidding? The 200 grain weighed more than the 300 grain by about 5 grains. The 300 was correct at just over 300 grains for the head. The 200 was 311 grains for the head. I want to add that the lines are also color coded. What gives? So I contacted the manufacture. He was helpful and I then sent in the line. They said it was a manufacturing anomoly. They also sent out a WF9F/S III for a replacement. (This is good customer service, but I'm out on postage). In the meantime, I weighed my spey line from this manufacturer and it was right on. Of course, I weighed the WF9F/S III. It was right on.

I live by the rule "trust but verfy" at work. I have carried this over to fly lines.

Thanks for listening.

voodoofly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts