Spey Pages banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm low tech. Hose outside always.. occasionally turn Inside out hose with water. Hang dry.

In general don't underestimate Fabrize fabric spray. I use that in my race helmet. It is the best defunkifier

·
Registered
617 Posts
Curious — why is a dryer better than air drying? Do you do this on low heat?
Medium heat. IIRC. Not too hot as you don't want to damage the neoprene booties or the seams.

Lame answers follow.

Lame authority argument. People who sell gore-tex and similar have recommended using a dryer and applying heat. Hang to dry works too but not as well.

The heat in the dryer restores breathability IIRC. For the life of me, I don't recall the mechanism.

From experience, it works great. For both waders and jackets.

·
Registered
Redington Dually 8116 Rod, Redington Grande, Lamson ARX 3.5,
63 Posts
I’ve worn Patagonia waders for the last 9 years and wash with all free and clear about every other use. Never had an issue.
Any type of free and clear detergent? I thought waders should only be washed in pure soap and nothing that is classified as a detergent as detergents will strip the DWR coating off. I have yet to wash my waders and am overdue and have plenty of free and clear at my disposal. Guess I should give it a go!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Any type of free and clear detergent? I thought waders should only be washed in pure soap and nothing that is classified as a detergent as detergents will strip the DWR coating off. I have yet to wash my waders and am overdue and have plenty of free and clear at my disposal. Guess I should give it a go!
I use “All” brand free and clear. Just happens to be what my wife keeps around. I would assume other brands are fine. As others mentioned it is important that you use a front load washer and dryer. And dry on medium heat so the elastic and neoprene doesn’t melt.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I wear my waders in clear rivers. Been doing this for 50 years. I never knew my waders got dirty, seeing how whenever in use, it's in running water. I had no idea that washing waders is a "thing." Next, you're going to tell me that fishermen clean the cork grips on fishing rods too. However, I do rinse my rod and reel after fishing in salt water.

·
Registered
565 Posts
A rods mojo grows with each addition of fish slime to the cork - no way I’m going to clean my cork. Rarely wash waders either. Other than Nikwax Tech-wash, liquid detergents are not recommended for waterproof/breathable fabrics.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts