Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone use when washing their waders? I am 1 year in on a pair of Patagonia Swiftcurrent Expeditions and they are starting to stink to high heaven despite being pretty good about airing them out after use. I have previously used All free and clear liquid detergent, but given that this pair cost a bit more than my previous Cabelas waders I am being extra careful with these

I have been recommended Ivory Snow powdered detergent, though the baby powder smell is scaring me off. Considered the nikwax stuff made for gor tex, though not sure if that is going to require the use of a DWR spray afterwards.

·
Registered
RB Meiser, Sage, Vision, Speyco, JW Young
412 Posts
I think Patagonia recommends Nikwax products for their gear.
I have used the both the Tech Wash and the TX Direct.
Can't say that I had great results with the TX Direct (maybe my garments were to far gone).

I am sure a few others will chime in.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have been recommended Ivory Snow powdered detergent, though the baby powder smell is scaring me off. Considered the nikwax stuff made for gor tex, though not sure if that is going to require the use of a DWR spray afterwards.
Ivory Snow should be fine unless you believe the baby powder smell will attract aggressive Bull Moose or Grizzly Bears.... or signal low-holers to the exact spot where you are fishing. The Ivory Snow soap should not leave a residue. Rinse thoroughly.

FWIW, I use ivory snow (or similar) to wash goose down garments and sleeping bags. I do not recall a lingering odour.

Nikwax Tech Wash works, and is my go to for all goretex/breathable outdoor clothing.

A water repellant spray should not be necessary.

Dry in a dryer at heat.

I am due for another wash....

Reactions: fish0n4evr

·
Registered
Beulah Burkheimer Meiser
2,094 Posts
I like to use powdered detergent free of colors and scents. I use this for waders and all of my ski gear. I think I have been using All for the past few years.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I wash mine in whatever body wash happens to be in the shower. Turn on the shower and plug drain. Turn waders inside out and scrub with soapy water. Rinse well with handheld shower head. I toss 'em in the yard and let em dry

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I used the nikwax dwr washing machine soap on my swiftcurrent zips in the fall and gave it a run with the wash in dwr coating as well just because I was doing some old jackets that needed a refresh.
Worked great no ill side effects.
Also gave the inside of the booties a scrub with dish soap a couple weeks ago. I had forgotten to dry my waders inside out from the previous week and they were stinking.
But generally my waders don't stink much as long as I dry them inside out everytime.
Lief

·
Registered
273 Posts
I’ve worn Patagonia waders for the last 9 years and wash with all free and clear about every other use. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
Scott T3H 15' 9wt, Lamson ULA, Scott T3H 13'6", 4 1/4" Hardy Perfect
48 Posts
I wash mine in whatever body wash happens to be in the shower. Turn on the shower and plug drain. Turn waders inside out and scrub with soapy water. Rinse well with handheld shower head. I toss 'em in the yard and let em dry
Ha! I do that too.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I use 20 mule team Borax hand washed in the tub. To scared to put them in a machine. Works well, the tub water turns a nice tea color.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have never washed my waders but not to say they shouldn't be done. Machine wash or by hand?
To err on the cautious side, I would machine wash if you own or have access to a front-loading washing machine. Remove straps or tie them up.

Otherwise, I would hand wash and rinse in bath tub. Inside and out. And then dry at heat in dryer.

--------------------------

As an aside, I am sure that y'all dreamt about owning a 6,000 square foot home overlooking the __ steelhead river or overlooking a bonefish flat from a remote Cay offshore Belize.

Me? I dreamt about owning a front-loading washing machine. The bush is my castle. Much of the modern, hi-tech outdoor clothing that makes life in the backcountry so comfortable (and safe) is best cleaned in a front-loading washing machine.

If your spouse or partner is at a loss for gifts, get them to buy you a front-loading washing machine.

Reactions: pnwflyfishing

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have a front-loader so am going to give it a run with the Ivory Snow and hope I don't leave a trail of scent for any low holers. If anything catastrophic happens I'll report back. I will likely air dry as opposed to used the dryer.

·
Registered
110 Posts
For front loader, are you washing them inside out or normally to protect the taped seams?

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
577 Posts
@hangloose: A dryer is better than air drying.

@pnwflyfishing: wash normally. Dry normally. Though I might have turned them inside out for some of the time in the dryer.

On trips I carefully turn them inside out so they air out and dry faster.

Reactions: sculpin swinger
1 - 20 of 27 Posts