Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Deschutes Spey Day, cook off.

We had a good time yesterday until about noon when it reached 100 degrees. The we opted for AC and a beer. Seven of us showed up and that worked out good I had enoght lines and rods that eveyone could try something at the same time. Had Meisers 11'4" 6/7, 11'7" 5/6 12'6" 5/6. Redington 12 7/8, Loomis GLX 13 8/9, Fly Logic 14 9, Scott 13 8, Burkhimer 13 9 I think. Meiser supplied his rods, COO sent the Redington and the others were personal rods. Redshed sent a CND 1206 but unfortunatly the pony express was late arriving. So I will give it a try next week.

We can have the one in Maupin in Sept. if enough are interested. If we do I thought that we could get together after the morning fishing. Then hit the evening hatch.
Skilly

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Skilly

Sounds like fun, allways look for new water.
I'll come down.
When?

:smokin:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Deschutes Spey Days

Great idea!
How about doing it in Maupin?--you have two fly shops, a grocery store, couple of restaurants and lots of paved road river access. Good off the road camping at Beavertail Campground and lots of others such as Mack's Camp as well as several motels. The reason I mention the fly shops is that they may do some "sponsorship" which may make for more toys and interesting poeple--both have spey expertice too. The Warm Springs turn off is too touristy(the main highway through central Oregon) and not as much room to get everyone away from the crowds (its the main put in for rafters). Maupin is fishing central and Madras--well is Madras.

What are thoughts on dates?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We can do both. Here in Warms Springs and in Maupin. I thought I might try one here and see if I can get some of the local shops involved. There is a small shop here in in Prineville, Central Oregon outdoors in Redmond, The Fly Fisher in Sisters and Numb Butt in Madras. I would like to have this one in July. The Trout fishing is Excellent right now. There are some Motels in Madras, and camping at Meca on the Deschutes.

A great place to have it in Maupin would be at the City Park. There is a nice long run with a grassy bank. Probably not the best run to fish but would be fine to do some casting. Aslo a nice place to camp.
We could do the one in Maupin in September, when the Steelhead are in. That way everyone can fish in the morning and we could get together about 10:00 am.

Actualy we could do this every couple of months, just rotate the river. Say the Clearwater in October, and then maybe the Rogue this winter. Then up to the Skagit next spring.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Maupin in September... hmmm.....:smokin:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maupin Spey day

If everone wants it on a Saturday , how about the 18th of September ? This is for Maupin. Hopfully White river wont have it blown out this year. Last year you had to bring your own rock to stand on.

For the one in Madras It looks like the 24th of July will be best.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok guys This Saturday on the Deschutes between Warm Springs and Madras. Just as you come down the hill from Madras and Just before you start up the hill from Warm Springs. Or just as the river comes to the HWY coming from Madras. Right below the Riffle Fly Shop.

I have 3 of Meisers Trout Speys for you to try. I have enough lines that all 3 cast be cast at the same time. I will also bring my Loomis GLX 13 8/9 I may have a Loomis Metolius, still have hope. bring what you have so we can try it.

Time: I will be there early to get some fishing in. Probably about 5:00 So come anytime. Its supposed to be warm so I am bringing my pop up shade. The fishing has been fair along this stretch for Redsides. I have heard of a steelhead being caught, but i wouldnt plan on it yet.

Come on down meet some of us other 2 handers. Drink coffee or ? Tell lies have fun.

Need more directions, Motel, ??? email me.

[email protected]

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Sept 18th is the weekend of the Flyfishing Trade Show in Denver. Any possibility of doing the Sunday before?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steelhead Deschutes Spey Day

Juro

We can have it anytime. Whatever day will work for you and the rest is fine with me. I dont work anymore so I am free everyday.

What day would you guys like to get together on the Deschutes ???? Maybe we can get Juro to come and bring some of his new rods.

We can also have it where the most people want it. So lets decide when and where. I looked at the city park area. It now has a paved ramp along the river. Looks to be about 70 - 80 yards lang, but it may not be the best place to cast. It is easy to get to food and motel etc.

The one Saturday is a trout kind of get together. Mike at the Red Shed may send a CND rod if he gets it back in time. Thought we would also have a TFO rod but Numb Butt is moving his shop to Bend this weekend. New road runs through his old place.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Skilly...

I am sending you via Priority mail an Expert 1306, a Tioga 10, and a Hardy Mach 1 line in the morning. Skilly, You've got mail. MJC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts