Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been fortunate to spend a lot of time on the lower D in the last decade, be it jet boating up from the mouth, floating the lower canyon in my raft, biking in from the mouth, or fishing the access road from Maupin to Mack's. I work in an industry that is very busy mid-September through October and have made it an annual tradition to spend time in the canyon once work winds down, which is typically the late October or early November. I've typically floated Mack's to the mouth, but I sold my raft earlier this year and have yet to replace it. So, floating that stretch is not an option, but I'm feeling the need for some canyon time in the next couple of weeks and am trying to decide between the following: biking in with camping gear and trailer, camping somewhere between Rattlesnake and Mack's, or heading into Kloan and setting up camp there. I'd much rather be in the lower ten miles than above Mack's, but I've only been into Kloan once (walked in) and am a little hesitant on driving that road. Biking in is a viable option, but camping this time of year it would be nice to have to have a few more creature comforts than what I'd be able to bring on the bike. Any advice on the condition of Kloan Road would be appreciated, PM's preferred. I realize returns are low this year and expectations are set accordingly, but all I'm really looking for is a few solid days in the canyon. Mainly thinking out loud, but thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has a suggestion I haven't thought of yet. Thanks

·
Registered
734 Posts
Never driven the Kloan road but there were half a dozen rigs there when we floated in September. The BLM composting toilet was burned in the fire summer before last.

Mark

·
Registered
57 Posts
Kloan road was in pretty bad shape after the heavy rain in September. Been down there many times without any issues, but the last time really freaked me out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts