Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a chance to watch Derek Brown,s Spey Masterclass vid . While I realize that a lot of folks may find the info more basic/intermediate , I have to say that the grace ,ease and clarity with which he works his way through the mechanics of the casts and the obviously relaxed and effortless manner which he executes them, is worth every cent:) Having been infected only recently with the double handed/spey virus:) and being somewhat isolated from the spey mainstream geographically Derek,s Vid is a lovely reminder of why spey casting/fishing is so addictive and a great learning tool for those in a similar situation:)

Will

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Alot of spey casters got their beginning watching that video - still about the best one out there especially for long liners! And I do love his accent but then he probably wonders "what accent?? It's the boys across the pond that have the accents!!"

·
Registered
56 Posts
derek brown vid

Prairiespey,glad you enjoyed Dereks video I have watched it many times and enjoyed it.I bought a copy after spending some time with Derek having tuition on the tweed .the points you raise about the ease and style that derek casts with are spot on he really is a superb casterand teacher.I initailly found it a bit daunting to learn to cast with 100ft of line outside the rod at all times ,but I could see dereks point that if you can cast a long line you can fish anywhere.Dereks shotgun lift method really makes you use the full length of the rod to make nice flowing loops.his techniques can look a bit basic to some of the more modern fancy casts but they deffinately work and take the effort out of using the double handed rod,regards steve

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Stephen

lucky you are- to quote Yoda- for having the opportunity to cast with Derek:). I just spent a couple of hours playing with the shotgun lift , with my B&W 17 ' 10-12 and an XLT , and I must say it really is an effortless and very logical way to set up for the loop formation and seems to "lead " the rod into a very good firing position.

On the downside my 8 year old daughter is starting to complain about singing the Spey song - lift 2/3 loop 2/3 cast 2/3 plop!!!!!!- though we added a left leg back kick and head side flick on the "plop"- that she,s getting into:)))))))))

Will

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Will...

On the downside my 8 year old daughter is starting to complain about singing the Spey song - lift 2/3 loop 2/3 cast 2/3 plop!!!!!!- though we added a left leg back kick and head side flick on the "plop"- that she,s getting into))))))))
Why don't you find a 9ftr, add a lower handle, overline it a size or two and let that little gal start practicing.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yeah, a great one. Fantastic dry understated lovely British humour all the way through along with the instructions. Combined with the speypages resources this has been the basis of my learning to speycast!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts