Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently purchased a Winston DBF 8/9 (15'). I'm fairly new to spey casting and I was told to purchase the Rio windcutter(8/9/10). I have been very frustrated with my casting. I've been using my friend's scott with a midspey and casting has been going much better. I know my rod is capable of a lot, so I'm not going to give up on it (its probably me). I'm curious if any one has any suggestions for ways to improve this setup (please don't write "buy a sage", because I do not have prodeal with sage. If things don't improve I'm going to sell this rod, I'm not fishing effectively, and that's what I like to do...I use heavy sink tips in the winter, and I'm wondering how an accelerator would behave with this rod and a heavy tip. Thanks for any help. Dan

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
I have always found that the Derek Brown Favorites have never really cared for the Windcutter (the shorter head doesnt let this rod shine).

Plus, if you are going to fish a Windcutter on the rod, you need to severly overline the rod.

I own the 7/8 and the 8/9/10 does not come close to loading it, however the 9/10/11 does a much better job.

Your 8/9/10 Windcutter is WAY WAY WAY too light for the 8/9 DBF.

My lines of choice on these rods are Midspeys, Long Deltas and my favorite, the Accelerator.

The 7/8 DBF loves the 8/9 MidSpey while the 8/9 DBF loves the 9/10 MidSpey or the 9/10 Accelerator.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
I've had the Derek Brown 8/9 for a month and a half or so, and it is an amazing rod in many ways. It took me a good three weeks to pick the line I wanted to use on it. Luckily I live near the River Run spey shop in Carnation so I was able to try the lines I liked over and over. I finally settled on the Grandspey 7/8. The Grandspey 8/9 worked on it too, but the 7/8 is the better choice for the long run if you want a line with a belly in the 80 to 100ft range.

For a shorter line, which you should probably start with if you are new to this, the midspey 8/9 really jumps off the rod if you don't fire too hard. You can almost just use your bottom hand smooth and light, and have the top hand only travel 6 or 8 inches, and you won't believe how it handles the midspey.

Where do you live? Saturday mornings from 9 to 11 in Carnation the River Run guys are going to be at the mouth of the tolt where it flows into the Snoqualmie. They have different rods and lines to play with and dispense knowledge and tips. Stick with the rod, you'll come to love it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Three years ago, when the DBF first came out, I borrowed one from Mark for the day. I was so pleased with it that I bought the 8/9. I had the standard 8/9 Wincutter on it. I then bought the 'Upgrade' (lengthens the mid section by 15 feet).

The following year, my wife bought for my birthday, the DBF 7/8 which has the 7/8 Accelerator. It is a primo summer rod for the Deschutes. One thing I have noticed about both rods, is not to let too much line 'stick' to the water. You also have to quicken up your pace. I began spey casting with a GLoomis, GL3, 8/9, which is an excellent rod.

Last season I was fortunate enough to find a DBF 9/10. I've used this one for about the past three months. On it is the Windcutter/Upgrade, this brings the line up to a mid-spey config. I also have a Rio Grandspey 9/10. All three rods are less than 15-ounces. When everything comes together with ragard to the cast, it is a really impressive rod.
ED

1 - 4 of 4 Posts