Spey Pages banner

Depth

4K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  dmas 
Here in the GL there is a different mentality to fishing for steelhead and salmon. Some people still believe that these fish will NOT feed once they hit the rivers. They believe that once the fish hit the river they will not hit a fly of any kind and are there to spawn and thats it. As much as I hate to say this the only way these people believe they can catch these fish is to line them? In order to do that you need to be right on the bottom. Obviously not everyone believes this and there are a lot of people that are converting to other techniques to catching these fish in the rivers as they come out of the great lakes. I for one feel that if I am even ticking bottom I am too deep make adjustments to fish shallower. I want the fish to rise up and hit my fly not the other way around where my fly hits the fish! So as long as I am a foot or more off bottom I feel pretty comfortable and confident in what I am doing. A lot of times I will hit a run an start with a straight grease line approach, work the run. Then switch to an intermediate line and work it again and so on until I start to tick bottom. Once that happens I stop and go back one step so that I am at least a foot or so off the bottom. I personally would rather get skunked then take a chance and "line" a fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.