Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, as you can see I am new to the site so I would like to say, "Hello!" to all of you and hope I can help bring some knowledge to the boards! :)

I will be departing to Cancun for my honeymoon on August 8th 2005, and would love to ask for some advice from some of you who have visited the area, on what I should plan for, what I need to bring, who I can get in contact with for guides, and any other information you guys/gals may have to offer for me.

I'm farily new to the fly fishing scheme but I am planning on doing some fishing on my honeymoon with my wife. I plan to pursue bonefish or anything else that I can get my hands on that I obviously cannot from my local Colorado waters. :)

I have been in the process of looking for a rod/reel combo and so far I am liking the look and the waranty of the Cabela's SLi series 10 weight rod with the Cabela's SR reel. http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jhtml?id=0000754315267a&navAction=push&navCount=2&indexId=cat20427&podId=0000754&catalogCode=IE&parentId=cat20427&parentType=index&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=MainCatcat390001&hasJS=true However I am not even sure I will even need to bring along a rod with me. Or if you guys/gals suggest that I do, would that rod be a good choice?

I would like to get set up with a deep sea fishing guide for some big game fishing, but also a guide for fly fishing for my wife and I. Any other advice or help you guys/gals can give me would be greatly appreciated! I will be staying at Beach Palace Hotel. If you look on the map it is located about a 1/4 of the way down on the East side: http://www.cancun-map.com/map_cancunzh_ing.asp

Thanks in advance

J

·
0 Posts
Hi. Welcome to the Speyclave. The first thing I'd do is to put this same request on the Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions board. You're far more likely to get a range of ideas regarding guides and the like there. Secondly, I would re-read the rules regarding this site because I think you violated one by posting the website address of a non-sponsor. At least I've never been aware of Cabela's being a sponsor.

Have you cast his rod? I'm not sure that casting certain trout rods, etc. before buying is critical as casting is of lesser importance for much trout fishing. I can tell you that casting is extremely important when bonefishing and I would be positive the rod I select is a rod I can cast well. There are many other options in that price range, including TFO, Loop, and others, but also mid-price point rods from the major manufacturers. I'd cast several of them with the line you intend to use with it before I'd lay down any money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Kyle! Fly fisherman from Mexico here. First of all, congratulations on your decision to come to paradise to spend your honeymoon (being married for 10 years myself, I don't know if I should congratulate you for your wedding :hihi: ...jk)

The combo you mention sounds good to me: entry level, heavy enough, and hopefully fish catcher.

Guides:

http://www.holboxfishinglodge.com/holboxflyfishing.htm This place is less than an hour drive from Can Cun.

http://www.flyfishingmexico.org/frameset1.html this guys are in Cozumel, you'll have to take a plane or a boat to get there.

The most prestigious lodge is Boca Paila Lodge, but I think they don't have a web site. There's also Bahia Ascencion and Isla Blanca. Hope this helps!

Oh my! I almost forgot to tell ya: if you want to save big bucks, don't buy any package in the US, try contacting the guides directly yourself, some time before or right after you arrive. You'll end up paying half the price, perhaps less. No offense, but most travel companies are a ripoff. Don't hesitate to contact me if you need further help, I can send some e-mails in no time. Fortunately, the fly fishing community in Mexico is very small so we are really close and friendly. :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Kyle: Post your question at :
www.danblanton.com

Also search the archives at the same site. Yours is a frequent question that has been answered there, many times.

Have fun!

Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mark Vegwert said:
www.danblanton.com
Also search the archives at the same site. Yours is a frequent question that has been answered there, many times. Mark
:confused: Yeah, looks like I did that. Just looked at the site you're suggesting and found exactly the same answers I wrote above, except for the local warm spirit. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mark Vegwert said:
www.danblanton.com

Also search the archives at the same site. Yours is a frequent question that has been answered there, many times.

Have fun!

Mark
Mark, for some reason I cannot find any articles or a forum on this site. Would you be kind enough to help point me in the right direction?

J

·
0 Posts
On the homepage, look for a small font link saying "bulletin board." Click on that and you'll go directly to the forum

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sorry Kyle

Try this:

www.danblanton.com/bulletin.html

Right under the large letters that say: "CLICK HERE TO POST A MESSAGE"

click on the link to search the archives. Search for the word "Cancun". You will get 11 hits. Each hit is a page of the archive. I don't know of any other way to find the specific entries (there probably is a way but I am too dense to figure it out) other than to scroll down to them. Each hit also includes the dates of any postings so that will narrow it down for you. Rick J seems to go there frequently and I see that he posted a PM to you and should be very helpful. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
real question

so isn't the real question should you be flyfishing on your honeymoon? and if you can why would you want to screw it up boat driving, I mean deep sea fishing :)

I would say one of the foundations of my 11 year marriage is I quickly learned to seperate family vacations from fishing trips. But, that said, if you found a bride that enjoys fishing you have truly found a keeper

best of luck, Travis

·
Registered
33 Posts
Kyle:

I spent a week at Pesca Maya a couple of years ago. They have a web page and as far as I know they are still in business. At the time it was the best deal in Acention Bay.

Natrix

J

·
0 Posts
I agree that Pesca Maya is a terrific value. Brian is no longer running it due to his health problems, but one can hope that everything still runs smoothly. I'm not sure I'd go there for a honeymoon, however. It's still a fishing camp and the road to the camp is miserable to say the least, especially south of Boca Paila. I got the feeling that Kyle was looking for some day fishing in the Cancun area while still being able to enjoy the nightlife and other "pleasures" of Cancun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys! We will be there for 2 weeks so a day or two wouldn't kill my wife. She wants to go and have a good time with me doing what I want to do, and I told her that I will gladly do what she wants to do for a day or two as well. Compromise! Isnt that what marriage is about? :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I highly recommend the Cuzan Guest House in Punta Allen on Ascension Bay. Excellent value and great fishing on one of the worlds truely beautiful sites. You can contact them at: [email protected] and their web site is:www.flyfishmx.com. I have been there six times and have never been disappointed. I have caught hundreds of bonefish, several tarpon, one permit, lots of baracudas, snappers etc. The accomodations and food are great. The little village is about two to three hours from Cancun. It is a genuine Mayan fishing village and well worth a couple of nights just to get away from the fake glitz of Cancun. Bill

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Lot's of direct commercial links in this thread :rolleyes:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey Juro, I appreciate guys like you who give their time to moderate this site. As an infrequent poster, but daily lurker, I have deduced that you can not put a direct link to a non-sponsor's web site. But the" rules of engagement" are not easy to find. I did find some guidelines under FAQ, but nothing specific. I might suggest adding another header called something like "rules", and clearly spelling this out.

Thanks

Lon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts