Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question. After reading posts on T-8, T-10 and T-14 I was wondering if they fish as well as "density compensated" tips manufactured by some well known suppliers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a DC tip is supposed to have more grainage closer to the tippet end thus preventing the sink-tip from snagging up as much?

Is DC just a marketing tool and will straight sinktip materials (T-x) work just as well?

Thoughts appreciated,
Preston
Toronto

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
DC tips like Rio 15' used in multi-tip spay line, which can be purchase separately, have less gr. near a tip, but they are taper, so tinner tip( less resistance in water) sinks in similar rate as heavier and thicker butt section of the leader.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
just thinking about it, no hard evidence, I've always considered density compensation to be more important in stillwater than rivers.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I agree with Steve, the value of density compensated tips is more for still waters, in that it allows castability, yet maintains the same sink-rate at the narrow tip. For steelhead applications a level sinking tip is not a problem. Most people attach them to radically cut-back spey lines. The mass of these lines turn over even significant tips easily... therefore no need for a taper (or density comensation).

That said, the CND Gravity Point lines offer an intermediate tip that has the exact same taper as the floating tip. This is all about maintaining the sweet cast and turn-over. When fishing an intermediate tip I am not looking to gain great depth, rather I just want to get down a few inches. The density compensated CND tip does that and behaves during the cast just like the floater.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Michael & Young has CND. If you are not close to them, they will ship or you could put the bug in your local shop's ear and get them to contact the distributors at www.cndspeyusa.com and they would get them to your shop.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Kush
That intermediate tip is pretty impressive, it casts as good as the floater and cuts through a strong wind with ease.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts