Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a delta 9/10 55' for winter fishing on my burky 8152. I also heard the nextcast WA 55 is a good line for that rod. Can anyone tell me what the major differences are? Ability to carry a heavier tip/fly? Any better in the wind? Thanks.

·
Administrator
2,471 Posts
Curious to see what kind of feedback you get on this as I have delta's / delta long's for most everything I fish. Will be watching this thread. I only have experience with the Nextcast FF70's and they're fantastic. I would imagine you'll hear good things about the WA as well.

·
Registered
889 Posts
There isn't really any comparison.

The Delta is probably the best of its style of line, yet still based on tapers of the era they were designed in. A different design philosophy compared to today.

The WA 55 is a shooting head with a heavily weighted arse end vs. the delta. And no rear taper at all. 15' rio 8 wt sink tips are easily cast on the WA. The line is designed with 8wt tips to about 120 grains in mind.

Tips will be about the same for either line. I think the stock delta tips are slightly heavier...but can't remember. Since you are planning on using a 15' rod you will have more leeway than a short stick in this department.

Flip a coin. Delta lines are super smooth but IMO harder to cast. WA 55's are quite similar to the 45's, just a little longer with a few more grains while still packing a nice wallop. Its that wallop that gets you out of trouble when casting under less than ideal situations. That wallop also gets you in trouble if you overpower the rod regardless of the situation.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There isn't really any comparison.

The Delta is probably the best of its style of line, yet still based on tapers of the era they were designed in. A different design philosophy compared to today.

The WA 55 is a shooting head with a heavily weighted arse end vs. the delta. And no rear taper at all. 15' rio 8 wt sink tips are easily cast on the WA. The line is designed with 8wt tips to about 120 grains in mind.

Tips will be about the same for either line. I think the stock delta tips are slightly heavier...but can't remember. Since you are planning on using a 15' rod you will have more leeway than a short stick in this department.

Flip a coin. Delta lines are super smooth but IMO harder to cast. WA 55's are quite similar to the 45's, just a little longer with a few more grains while still packing a nice wallop. Its that wallop that gets you out of trouble when casting under less than ideal situations. That wallop also gets you in trouble if you overpower the rod regardless of the situation.

This is great info, thanks. I was doing well with the delta on the river yesterday until the wind came up so I was thinking if there would be a better alternative.

·
Registered
889 Posts
You would need to cast them both under those conditions to see if one or the other favors you. The nextcast could make it way better to way worse and all point between.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
The funnel taper on Nextcast lines bring some brutish power to the game. Not all casters like them but boy, do they ever sizzle if you can stay off the gas! High line speed, aggressive turnover, easy to maintain all-day consistency with.

Deltas are good lines -make no mistake- and while casting consistency with them is a little harder to achieve, that's not necessarily a bad thing. A Delta will let you know when you're off, but is still pretty forgiving. It's not a "latest generation" style of taper, which is perfectly OK. Deltas are great all-rounders.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
1,979 Posts
Best advise is stick with what you have and work on your casting:cool:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Great thread! Been casting both and would say the WA is turning faster and with more athority and might be the better choice on days. But the Delta is just a very smooth and really nice fishing line. I would not say the either of the two lines demand more or less from the caster.

Salmon blog: www.urbanflyfisher.net

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
If you buy FF 55 which has the same taper as WW, cut it at 18' mark ( front the front ) instead 14.5-15' as it is done for WW, the the new line will have a stronger turnover with sink tips and can handle a bit more grain.

·
Banned
973 Posts
Any better in the wind? Thanks.
If the WA has more turnover power it'll be better in the wind. The delta is smooth as stated many times but it's not as good in wind. There's something about fast turnover that really works. Maybe the funnel taper?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts