Spey Pages banner

Delta Spey Traditional Lines????

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  sean 
#1 ·
Was looking at the airflo website for the specs on the long delta and noticed this line listed.

Here are the specs:

Tip Front Belly Rear Running
.5 ft. 38 ft. 40 ft. 5.5 ft. 41 ft

Has anyone cast these lines? Are they even available? I have heard nothing about them and am just curious.

I noticed on the speypages Dana has the review listed as coming soon....

-sean

#2 ·
When I talked to Tim R at one of the Sprotsmen shows last year he indicated Airflo was going to come out with their version of a long belly line. This must be it. I do like the long Deltas so will be curious but sure have not seen any hype that they are out yet. Maybe at the next Spey Clave? Lets see- do I really need an XLT, a Grand Spey and now a traditional Airflo! Gonna need a couple of new spools!!

G
#3 ·
These lines were supposed to be shipped from the UK some time after the first of the year. I doubt that there are many, if any, in circulation right now. Check with your Air Flo dealer to find out what their expected delivery time is, or call or e-mail Rajeff Sports to find out if they have an updated time of delivery.

#4 ·
Delta spey reply

Oooooo...the delta spey long belly. Its very nice and super slick. I have been fishing the wolf triangle taper on my old sage 9140 and recently changed to the long delta spey. The two lines are very different. I beleive that if your in the zone the wolf line is by far the best floater for the 9140, doesnt over load the rod and shoots like a cannon. The delta spey is a bit heavier and loads the rod a bit deeper, perhaps too deep. The long belly delta spey would likely be a great line on a full flex rod that is a bit stiffer. I will say one thing, there is no line that has a slicker surface than that of the delta.

#5 · (Edited)
Is your Sage the older brown 9140-4? And what size is your Wulff Triangle Taper?
According to a New Gear Review in the Feb. "Fly Fisherman," Airflo is introducing the Delta Spey Traditional with an 84-foot head, compared to the 65-foot head on the Delta Spey Long. Both lines are also available with four 12-foot interchangeable tips. This is in addition to the earlier, shorter-belly Delta Spey.

#6 ·
I was wondering when Airflo woud come out with a multi-tip. They had it only on the Delta and not the long Delta when I got mine so I ended up cutting it and making a loop so I could use tips. The long Delta is a great tip line - long enough for good mending capabilities.

Hope to see the the long belly version maybe at the Calif San Rafael FF show or at least the clave

#7 ·
Airflo Traditional Line

At the Clave yesterday (Jan 25) in Carnation I cast one of the Traditional lines - very nice! It is not a super long belly, but fits nicely into the niche between the Mid-Spey/Long Deltas and the XLT type lines. I think a lot of casters will really like this configuration.

#10 ·
It looks like the traditional lines are much better rated than the long deltas.

mjyp I think you have the 1409 T&T like I do and I tested the 8/9 on it. It was a little light for shorter casts but once you got the full belly out thre it worked pretty well. I think I would use a 9/10 on it in the future as I like to feel the blank flex a little more than it was.

I really do like the line and the best thing is it fits on my BG7 with 200 yards of backing and room to spare. Defintely a good line to go between the midspey/long delta and the grandspeys/xlts. I think airflo may have a hit on thier hands.

-sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.