Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
btree
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever try Spey lines like the delta or other 50-60ft lines with 11ft switch rods?

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
To throw all Delta head with 11'er is lots of work but can be done. Doesn't make sense not to use scandi thought.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I fish a delta on my deer creek switch occasionally. It casts easiest for me with the change at my hands. I can cast the whole head but everything has to be just right.

I pretty much just use it for dead drifting weight, for swinging or skating I prefer a short head.

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
Yeah, it can be done, I've done it, but, save for curiosity's sake, why?

If you are in such tight quarters as to need/want an 11' rod, a shorter head would be more practical.

Conversely, if you have space, with a 55' head a 13-13.5' rod will be more fun and give you more control.

In my opinion this goes into the can-be-done vs. should-be-done file. First category.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
seems there are the long belly folks out there that like throwing long bellies for a number of reasons - one in particular is that you don't have to strip. A long belly means different things depending on rod length but the old delta Longs and RIO mid-speys were in the 70+ foot range and often thrown on 13 to 14 foot rods giving a ratio of 5x or more and really should be no problem if your technique is ok so throwing a 50' head on an 11 foot rod should be no different.

When I started out I was throwing the original xlt on the Scott 1287 and it did fine. For a number of reasons I have since gone to short belly systems but still like to play on occasion with the long stuff

·
Registered
555 Posts
I sometimes cast my old rio midspey 6/7 on my 11 foot 5/6 weight. It has a 65 foot head and if I put the running line junction right at the reel it casts wonderfully. That puts about 55 feet of line beyond the rod tip. Having cast longer head lines for a long time I have had no problems with this setup. It's great for fishing smallish flies, but is difficult when the wind is blowing upstream. When the wind blows or I want a tip I reach for a scandi.

·
btree
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Btree..where have you been...and the kids?
try a Vector 4/5..low water line for sure
Kid is doing well, looking forward to more fishing with him. He's a bit big to fit in the backpack, and at 30lb, a little heavy too. But he has a little tackle box and a Micky mouse spinning rod, so that keeps him pretty busy on and off the water. Might have to build a tenkara for him next year so he can get the idea of casting.

The reason I ask about the delta is mostly because of the line recommendations on the Meiser site list compact Spey lines up to 50' and 500gr for the 11067 I have- wondering what line he had in mind, and a delta 6/7 comes in right around that...

And ya, trying to get away from stripping, and want to try something new.

I've got a few lines that work pretty darn well with the switch, but they are all shooting heads. And while I have also been enjoying shooting heads with my longer rods, I have a couple shorter Spey lines that I'd like to use with the longer rods, and eventually graduate to a 55-65ft head on a 14ft rod. But with the summer upon me, the long rods are resting, so I'd like to be able to get some practice with a short rod and a longer line.

I have a snowbee 2D and a delta multi-tip that I'd like to use on the 14ft rod, so right around a 1:4 ratio.

Probably going to try a 7/8 AFS as its in the ballpark for practice.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
opps..Him..got it!

the beauty of using these longer belly lines on the switch rods is their easy feel and nice compact delivery. Keep your grain weights on the lite side...I have used the 390 grain Vector on several Switch rods and really like the lay out of the line...not a big fly line though. I have also used the Snowbee Scandi integrated line 6/7 ,rated at 20 gr/320 grains plus ..these are 44 foot heads integrated and can be cut a bit to suit.....it is surprising that more companies do not make integrated scandi lines...and I know Snowbee has slimed down their range a lot so get them while you can...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts