Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tied these up on Partridge 3/0 Low Water hooks. I reworked the bend on these to close up the gap a little. Tied most in the Murdoch style. Inspiration from Mike, aka Gr8lakes Flyer.
Had fun tying these & look forward to swinging them soon.
Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
323 Posts
This is spectacular, i may have to come back and look at this post a few times but especially for that nighthawk inspired dee (well i hope it is that)! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
A master class in Dees!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
John:

I've only tied one Dee. For whatever reason(s), the long and lanky classic designs didn't appeal to me visually, despite their long history of success on the river. The one that did I did tie, however, looked a lot like yours. A stouter medium length hook and beefier body, complemented with very sparse hackle work. My intent was to take the best attributes of a Dee and make it a better fly for a more interactive style of fishing. Each fly of this marvelous collection make me want to re-visit Dee work. Thanks for the inspiration

It's been too long since we've seen your work my friend

dave

·
Registered
506 Posts
Cool flies, great hook choice too. Although dees are normally supposed to have a thin body, screw it, these look way better!! Reminds me of bob veverkas (spelling?) work.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,307 Posts
Hey John,

You're another guy I haven't seen posting for a while, beauties with this batch!

PS. I think of you every time I use one of those size 10's :)

·
Undertaker
1,368 Posts
Nantucket sleigh ride

Who among us can gaze on finely tied flies like these and imagine, not just a tug and a pull, but being tethered to a leviathan, hell-bent on returning to the ocean - and yourself, stumbling along behind in awe. Those totally evoke a Nantucket sleigh ride.:cool:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Very nice work! These will all fish well. Thanks for sharing. Great close-up work with the camera.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Dont think there is anything more that can be said other than THANK YOU for sharing these with us!! I love the gardener with the peacock wing!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all!
Haven't tied much. When I do sit at the bench, I hear the pitter patter of the kids footsteps not far behind . Then my bench gets taken over. It does look like an explosion hit after they're done, but they're starting to put things back in their place.
most of these are tied with a sparse dubbed body, then picked & brushed out. a la Marty strip wing style. And like Dave has mentioned, tying in a body hackle really give them a beefier look.

Gary, I'm looking forward to it !

Dave, your work inspires many of us here. Hope to see more!

Ard, I hope they've helped you bring some beautiful fish to hand. PM coming your way. ..

Jam, yes. I love the night hawk & fish many variations of it.

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
All that and small neat heads.

·
Administrator
19,233 Posts
Most excellent tying John, always a pleasure to view your offerings :smokin:
These will fair well on any steelhead or salmon river, no doubt in my mind !!

Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts