Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
RubberMaid Pro Staff
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:
I have never cast a Commando head, but would like to try one with a new-to-me Deer Creek 11’ 4 weight.
I did a pile of searching the forums here and came up empty, so don’t flame me outta here. 😁
I think this rod came out before Commando lines became popular.
Lots of posts on various other lines to match, but very little info on Commando grain weights that work with the Deer Creek. I’m guessing from OPST line charts that 200-225 might work (?)
Field experience from anyone with this setup is much appreciated.
Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I’m pretty familiar with the mentioned Deer Creek ...

... I would suggest that you simply contact the folks at OPST and tell them what rod you have, and what your intentions are for this rod.

They are extremely knowledgeable about these things and will not steer you wrong.

I have referenced many dozens of our client base to OPST for rod/line marriages on our short two handed rods, and have gotten nothing but positive responses back from these clients.

Meiz

·
Registered
RubberMaid Pro Staff
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

... I would suggest that you simply contact the folks at OPST and tell them what rod you have, and what your intentions are for this rod.

They are extremely knowledgeable about these things and will not steer you wrong.

I have referenced many dozens of our client base to OPST for rod/line marriages on our short two handed rods, and have gotten nothing but positive responses back from these clients.

Meiz
Thanks for the reply Bob, I’ll give them a call (y)
Steve

·
Registered
RubberMaid Pro Staff
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Meiz
I have one of your S2H10634C-4 rods as well. Maybe they can give me a Commando head recommendation for that one too. I’m curious to give them a try on these lighter rods. :)

·
Registered
RubberMaid Pro Staff
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a follow up as I feel credit is due to the folks at OPST. I took RB Meiser’s advice and contacted the folks at OPST. You can’t actually phone, but have to submit an email request with your questions.
I admit I was somewhat less than optimistic about a timely response, but a day later I had concise answers from an OPST rep regarding line pairing for two rods I asked about.
So once again, as with many of the great companies that make up Spey Nation, thanks and a nod to the folks at OPST!

·
Registered
RubberMaid Pro Staff
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
And...?
Are you going to tell us what size head(s) they sold you?
Haha! Sure, sorry to hold everyone in suspense!
Deer Creek 4110-4 takes a 250gr Commando.
Meiser S2H10634C-4 has a 200gr recommended.

OK, next challenge, who has these lines kicking around unused that they want to get rid of? :unsure:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts