Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a source for Dee irons of the budget minded variety. 4/0-7/0 "standard" sizing. I'm not really familiar with Dee sizing. Brands/Sizes etc.

Thanks,
Riley

Attachments

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Check Your PM's just sent some info

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Gaelic Supreme and Partridge or Redditch are just two brands of dee hooks that I know of and use.

Partridge of Redditch Harrison Bartleet Sprite Dee standard length sizes 1/0 3/0 5/0. At around $9 per pack of 5 are not entirely the traditional Dee hook, still a very nice affordable blind eye hooks. They are 1/2 inch longer shanks than a standard salmon-hook. 5X is considerably longer.

I use Harrison Bartleet Sprite Dee size 1/0 (2 1/8" total) for small (steelhead-sized) Dee patterns.

A Partridge CS10/3 "blind" 3/0 or HE2 1/0 2/0 or 3/0.
The HE2 size 1/0 is 2.5 inches long and dresses a nice dee pattern.

Two other suitables are Blue Heron Spey Hook size 1 and Alec Jackson 3/0 (essentially the same size.)

Gaelic Supreme Harrison Bartleet Dee sizes 1/0 to 6/0 are 3X Long and the HB Long Dee sizes 1/0 to 8/0 are 6X Long. They are hand-made and around $18 per 6.

speypager "failtospey" has been making hooks too. You might be able to reach through PM.

Also check out Ronn Lucas Sr. for more info on sizing and styles.

It really depends on what you are looking for in a hook.

Cheers.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
You can use any 6x to 8x streamer hook, provided you can find them in #4 or larger. Just cut the eye off the hook, use a diamond dust nail file to take the sharp edges off from cutting, and put a little black nail polish on the bare shank end. Let the nail polish dry, and you have a very good dee hook.

And if you want a truly huge extra long dee hook, open up the eye of an Alec Jackson 3/0 Spey Hook or a Mcneese Blue Heron #1. Either of them will give you a hook that is 3" or a little longer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts