Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a little note to let the boys over the pond know that the River Dee (Scotland) has had its best spring week for decades.

A river that was once noted for being the best Spring river in the World was nearly finished in the 90's, but over the last 10years or so, through careful habitat improvement, net buy out's and a 100% catch and release policy, has gradually been brought back to something of it's old self. Hopefully the improving runs will continue.

http://www.fishdee.co.uk/pages/recentcatches.asp?dom=FishDee

p.s. fishing Park on Thursday. Can't wait.....

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
"SALMON: Ardoe and Murtle 1, Park 66, Lower Crathes and W Durris 28, Knappach 2, Crathes 5, Lower Blackhall 11, Little Blackhall and Inchmarlo 19, Middle Blackhall 8, Woodend 2, Lower Woodend 1, Ballogie 9, Borrowston 1, Kincardine 1, Carlogie 4, Upper Dess 3, Aboyne Water 9, Aboyne Castle 2, Craigendinnie 2, Waterside and Ferrar 9.
Total: 183 Largest: Middle Blackhall 26lbs
SEA TROUT: Ardoe and Murtle 1, Lower Crathes and W Durris 2. Total: 3."

Sheesh! That's more than the top 60 miles of the Rogue (winter steelhead):saeek: over the past three weeks. Are you reeeeaaaallllly sure you want Willie Gunn to be seeing these numbers? Land Rovers can be driven almost anywhere.:D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Smolt said:
Are these freshrun fish or a mix of freshies and kelts?

All fresh run and a large percentage sea liced.

Fred, Malcolms green banger is busy on Speyside at the moment, however I think he is on Park next week. He should break get his first of the year there if not before, unless he has be cursed:confused:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Fishing the Dee early April?

Hello All,

Been reading these pages for weeks now thought it was about time I posted.

The Dee sounds awesome at the moment. Wish I had not put off going up there last week. I currently live in Portsmouth & the earliest I can get there is for Saturday 1st of April but there doesn't seem that much availability. Its a long way for 1 day's fishing. Do you reckon it would be worth my while to travel to fish the beats available on the lower Dee by then or will it be a bit late for the spring run?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers G
first post :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Springtime by the River Dee

Please keep reporting on the springfishing in Scotland.
Nice to know that River Dee is in good shape - will wet my line on the upper Dee for the first time in late April.
Cant wait!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
G.Simpson said:
Hello All,

Been reading these pages for weeks now thought it was about time I posted.

The Dee sounds awesome at the moment. Wish I had not put off going up there last week. I currently live in Portsmouth & the earliest I can get there is for Saturday 1st of April but there doesn't seem that much availability. Its a long way for 1 day's fishing. Do you reckon it would be worth my while to travel to fish the beats available on the lower Dee by then or will it be a bit late for the spring run?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers G
first post :D
Welcome to the forum G Simpson.

Since the reports of large catches were put on the fishdee website the available days on the better beats have been taken like hot cakes.

I have never fished below park. However, I would think if the weather stays cold and the water low you would be in with a chance, but as I am sure you are aware the first main stopping place for fish at this time of the year is Park.

It is a long way to come and it may be worth booking a beat further up the river later in the month.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I am not that familiar with the Dee to be honest & have never fished there. Its on my list of must fish rivers this year.

My options at the moment are on the Upper Dee at the end of April early May ie Crathie or the same beat 31st March but that would mean taking a day off work. Or as per my previous post the lower beats on the 1st of April. Either way it looks like I will have to make my mind up quickly. As was said the beats have gone like hot cakes. I should have not spent my time thinking about it in Jan/Feb & just booked. :mad:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would go for the upper river, end of April. This would be a far better bet.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
31 Posts
fishingd0 said:
I see Aboyne water has a day going on Saturday. Although it stated a minimum of booking three days, it would be worth phoning to see if they would cater for the one. That is if you could make it.

http://www.fishdee.co.uk/pages/rodsriver.asp?dom=FishDee&btnm=Aboyne Water&rsec=1
Would be ideal but have to fit my fishing around the rugby season & I have a game this weekend. Next available Saturday free is the 1st. Come the end of the season it will be fishing all the way. I think I will go for the end of April on the Upper Dee.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.