Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi speyers

im on the lookout for a dedicated salty overhead double hander ,ok your maybee thinking CND atlantis and it is with that rod in mind that I ask this question,the problem with the atlantis(not that ive used it) is that its an 11/12# rod and would scare our average european bass away .

im looking or imagening a 8# rod that will overhead cast a shooting head a long way in windy costal conditions 11 foot 6?? .

also while im here do any of you guys use single handed style lines (36 foot head)s on your long rods. for overhead casts.the reason I ask is that when useing a retrieve it would assist not to have to re feed out so much head from the rod before comencing the next cast.

cheers guys

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Take a look

At the Meiser rods. It depends a little on what you are fishing for, but Bob will be able to direct you. I have one of his 11' 7" rods for a 5/6. It does a nice job with a long belly WF 8 for overhead. Bob says it is fine for 10-12 # fish. It is easy to get 100 feet with an overhead cast. This rod works well for trout from a float tube and should be ideal for SRCs.

Depends a little on what you are fishing for.

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
the atlantis is great rod, however, a little over powered for where i use it as well. this is where Meisers switch rod comes into play. i am almost certain you can get the blanks as a ready to wrap package. check out his website and i assure you you will not be disappointed.

i am toying aroung with one of his switch rods now, the 10'6" 8/9 and am using a RIO scandinavian head for overheadiing the salt. WHAT A COMBINATION!!!! :whoa: effortless overheading with this setup.

vinnie

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
interesting stuff. the switch rods look tempting but Im not too sure about a 10 foot rod ,it seems a tad short as the 11 foot + D/H rod does have the advantage of mending ability in the surf.
I agree about the scandi heads,ive been useing the guideline lpxe 12. 6.. 8-9# and guideline shooting heads,the combination works well.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Barramundi-

Got your message, sorry I missed your call. No blanks at this time but the Atlantis does come in two sizes, the all-arounder is a 9/10wt (aftma) 11 footer and can handle up to a 10wt Airflo 35ft DI7 shooting head which will reach to 120ft with a slickshooter without much trouble, single backcast. Speybum showed me that it also likes the Rio Windcutter with the middle out, a 39ft head that matches it to a 'T'. I think it's the 6/7 spey WC with the middle out (spey lines much heavier, etc). This way you can adapt the tips for each situation or use the same line on your 6/7 spey rods too. I have plans to investigate the various Scandinavian lines and Skagit lines on this rod in the months to come.

It's a little more supple than the Surf-tamer so you can do limited Skagit, Scandinavian, and Spey casting with it as well but it's primary role is overhead casting. I've landed fish in the 25# class on it (stripers) but am looking for bigger fish next year.

Good luck in your search.

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
I had a good talk with Trevor at T&T. He mentioned a Horizon HS1107 blank that they discontinued this year. 11' 7 wt. Apparently faster action than the current Spey DH1107. It was designed for overhead casting. They still have some blanks available at the factory. It might be worth a call. Couldn't surmise which specific lines match this blank, and Trevor noted individual preferences may vary. However, if it is as fast as my HS1007, then it could possibly handle 7-8-9 lines.

M

·
0 Posts
There are a few options, in 7/8 and 8/9 in 12 foot lengths, but an obvious thing for the purpose is a TFO 12x12. Which is very fast taper dedicated overhead DH rod that throws about the same load as a 12' 4" 8/9 Loop Blackline. That is anywhere between 400 to 650 gns.
Barry Ryan at Aussiefly.com.au has a new 12 foot 7/8 rod DH rod that retails at Oz450$, he can also provide lines, running lines etc.
I have one and its nice, and pretty cheap in pounds sterling considering the exchange rate. Also cheap in US$ terms.
There must be some Loop options near you.
Max

1 - 10 of 10 Posts