Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Have been spey fishing a bit this fall and building my confidence with the assortment of casts.

Just this weekend I had to fish a river where the run forced you to be in waist deep water. I normally am only into my knees.

Not surprisingly my casting effectiveness plummeted to the point where I was really struggling. Started forcing and trying to power my casts. Bad.

I was using a 13'6" rod with a Skagit line, T-14 tip and tube rabbit leech fly.

Any tips on how to effectively cast when in waist deep wading water? Or, should one just expect to have reduced distance (given that your D-loop is reduced)?

Thanks in advance,
Preston

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Preston

As you found out, wading deeper makes it more difficult to cast well. Maxwell had a formula, x number of feet lost for each foot deeper. Shorten up the cast a little, relax and slow down a little and see if you can't still get it done.

The T14 and rabit leech don't make it easier to get the cast out, but they should still go unless they are marginal when you are not so deep. Do you really need the T14, and that length of T14? Lightening up and shortening the tip can help too.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Just get a longer rod, why do you think we use 15/16 ft rods in Scotland?

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Like Ted said

Everything Ted said. Only thing I can add is, raise your arms as you come around into firing position. That formula thing? For every foot deeper? And what Malcolm says about a longer rod? Look at it this way. For every foot from the rod tip to the waters surface..... So,,,,given what you have,,,get the rod tip higher off the water.

And just be content with the fact that a strip of rabbit fur soaks up a lot of water, attached to a length of T-14 is not the most efficient combination to cast, and the deeper you get, the less distance you can expect.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
with the setup and situation, I like to:
- add a poke
- keep the poke quick - minimal pause
- zero pause as the D-loop forms, edgit
- make sure to raise arms upwards as D-loop forms

·
Registered
293 Posts
I prefer the calcutta cast for those situations....as in shimano calcutta!

Joking of course. A timely question given the current state of affairs. Another alternative other than what has been mentioned is to "cheat" the anchor point for a single spey out more into the river with a more downstream angle. That way you're facing downstream a bit, and the d-loop is more parallel to the river bank, giving a bit more room for the D. You can do it with other casts too dending in the amount of room, the idea is to just cheat the angle a bit, face more downstream and quarter down more than usual. Works with wind, too. In a lot of situations I like a realy slow swing on the fly and a downstream set-up to the cast can be a good way to go. It's a band-aid but something to consider it will work well in some situations.

Sometimes I ask myself if it's worth it to wade deep. Some times it is, sometimes it isn't. The older I get the more I like to fish on "my terms". A cop out, probably, but hey some times less work. Luckily my favorite rivers usually have 50 yds. of gravel bar behind me so I don't have to deal with it.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Terms

7141-4 said:
The older I get the more I like to fish on "my terms". A cop out, probably, but hey some times less work.
That also applies to the "Calcutta cast":D As I often ask myself when I see guys trying to fish gear water, and trying to make a fly rod do something it was not designed to do.:Eyecrazy: Even with all the latest, greatest hi-tech advancements in fly fishing, sometimes it just ain't worth it.:saevilw:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks

Thanks for the feedback guys. Will try out the pointers. I did think about a longer rod, but not some of the other tips.

It's definitely my technique and less to do with the T-14 and rabbit leech as I'm using a 450 Skagit and Meiser MKS 13678 rod. I wish I could blame the rod...but I can't. I know it's not the issue. :hihi:

Cheers,
Preston

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
If you are throwing 15 feet of T14 and a heavy fly I might suggest a skagit 500 or even 550. I use the skagit 550 on a Scott 1287 and it definitely gets the tips moving. Steve's advice of a poke is a very good one

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
T14

Rick J,

I was using 10' of T-14. But yes, a 500 or 550 may help. I've spent so much money on lines over the past two years I'm hesitant to buy another one...

Thanks,
Preston

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Well ..... actually fly rod blanks make for an excellent ..

JDJones said:
That also applies to the "Calcutta cast":D As I often ask myself when I see guys trying to fish gear water, and trying to make a fly rod do something it was not designed to do.:Eyecrazy: Even with all the latest, greatest hi-tech advancements in fly fishing, sometimes it just ain't worth it.:saevilw:
base for a light 'gear rod.' Prior to manufacturers coming out with 'real' "noodle rod" blanks, most of us would take a 9 or 10 weight fly rod blank and build a casting/spinning rod out of that. (Angler's Work shop was the main supplier for these.) The 9wt made an excellent rod for 6-8 pound mono line; a 10 wt for mono line of 8-10 pound. (Summer and winter rods).

Either 'worked a treat.':lildevl:

·
JD
3,641 Posts
wrx_canoe said:
I'm using a 450 Skagit and Meiser MKS 13678 rod. I wish I could blame the rod...but I can't. I know it's not the issue. :hihi:

Cheers,
Preston
That + 10 ft of T-14 sounds like a pretty capable rig to me. Even with a reasonably sized bunny leech. I would be satisfied with a 60 to 70 ft presentation under favorable conditions. Deduct from that under less than favorable conditions, which includes waist deep water. Especially in close to the bank. You might want to think of down sizing that bunny leech. Some of those store bought creations get to be outragious.:whoa:

·
Registered
104 Posts
JDJones said:
That + 10 ft of T-14 sounds like a pretty capable rig to me. Even with a reasonably sized bunny leech. I would be satisfied with a 60 to 70 ft presentation under favorable conditions. Deduct from that under less than favorable conditions, which includes waist deep water. Especially in close to the bank. You might want to think of down sizing that bunny leech. Some of those store bought creations get to be outragious.:whoa:
Hehehe.. You should see some of the creations that we have 'round here that we tie up! Bull trout are wonderful things as they break the monotony, and seem to dig things *really* big.... like 7-8 inches big.... We have a fly that's basically half a rabbit pelt we call "The Cat", cause it's like casting a wet, dead cat..... :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

·
Ghetto caster
711 Posts
Anchor point

I always try to make sure that I put more energy into my initial lift, as I wade deeper, to move my anchor closer and closer. The closer the anchor is, the bigger the D loop you will be able to form. Keep the rod tip aimed high, uncork it and let it fly! It's not uncommon for me to have the anchor land within 4 to 6 feet of where I stand as I wade above my waist.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Perry Poke

sva01 said:
I always try to make sure that I put more energy into my initial lift, as I wade deeper, to move my anchor closer and closer. The closer the anchor is, the bigger the D loop you will be able to form. Keep the rod tip aimed high, uncork it and let it fly! It's not uncommon for me to have the anchor land within 4 to 6 feet of where I stand as I wade above my waist.
That's what's nice about the poke. Just play with the line, getting everything lined up, while waiting for the current to bring the anchor point down to about 5 ft above you. Then fire that puppy out there.:chuckle: Just be carefull that it doesn't come too close.:eek:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Poke

Just to add a bit more information...I was fishing river right and I'm a natural right hand caster. I don't switch to my left hand in such a situation.

Therefore, I was doing a Snap-T with an off-shoulder cast. I suppose you can still do a poke (and have your hands high) but it would definitely take a bit to get used to...:eek:

I guess with the poke and high hands it would be easier doing a double spey...

Preston

·
Registered
886 Posts
Buy a long rod and learn to Single and Double Spey off both shoulders. It is not easy but life should not be, if its worth doing it is worth spending a little time and effort.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Kiss

Willie Gunn said:
Buy a long rod and learn to Single and Double Spey off both shoulders. It is not easy but life should not be, if its worth doing it is worth spending a little time and effort.
Got to love you Malcolm;) . It takes a man of uncommon sense to state the obvious amongst so much chaos and confusion.:rolleyes:

Ramsay

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
Raise your lower hand up, drop your upper hand and arm down, throw your dloop more to the side, then throw the whole mess out side arm.

·
Registered
445 Posts
.............just spent a week swinging flies,with the water getting higher every day. Soon,you find your self waist deep,trying to cast. Well,a longer rod would help,but it isn't in your hands,so throw that d-loop higher,get your arms up too,and throw your forward cast higher. One of the rewards in this is making the difficult casts.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts