Spey Pages banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to the Dean for the first time from Sept 2-9 along with three other rookies. Does anyone have suggestions for a good (proven) bear hanging system? We are all very familiar with backpacking in griz country but not with coolers, etc. Also, do most folks feels that Art Lingren (Dean River Journal) is fairly accurate with his fly ideas? Any feedback or other gear suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Art's book is a great reference for fly patterns, although lots of things will work. Go big if the water is really colored, smaller and dark or subtle as the water clears. Be prepared to fish sinktips as well as floaters as the Dean can muddy up if there is glacial melt or a heavy rain.

As for as bears and coolers, get yourself a couple of decent rope and pulley systems. Find a high sturdy branch on a big tree and rig your pulley. We use a heavy carabiner that we attach to our rope and throw it over the branch, then rig it from there. Don't count on the cooler handles to be strong enough to support the weight of a loaded cooler--take in strong webbing straps that you can tie around the cooler and then attach your pulley to these straps. Normally we put two coolers in the cargo net from a whitewater raft and then hoist the whole thing up.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
barrels...

Not sure if you're familiar with canoe barrel systems but they're what I use for canoe tripping. Very popular among the wilderness canoeing crowd since they're essentially waterproof, roden proof, bear 'resistent.' More important they don't let odours out so that's half the battle.

Standard barrels are 60L.

I'm going to take the libery of pointing you in the right direction as I don't think Spey Pages has a barrel harness sponsor...

Google 'headstrongpacks' and you'll find the best systems out there.

Out of full disclosure Bob, the owner/sewer/customer service rep is a good buddy of mine. I guarantee he's got the best barrel harness out there.

Good luck on the Dean!

Preston
Toronto

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for the advice, fellas. Dana, do you fish the Clearwater in the fall? your photo looks very familiar. I am up there for a few weeks with the Teton Valley, ID crowd. Anyway, can't wait to get up there. Cheers all

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you fellas have any other suggestions on nice items to have on a wilderness river like the Dean other than standard camping gear? We like to go with style and comfort is always a plus but always remembering to bring enought beverage

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
folding chairs

a hammock

thermarest or campcots to sleep on

portable shower device (sunshower)

3 burner stove like you can get at Cabelas

take scotch or bourbon rather than beer (packs easier) and stored in Nalgene bottles to avoid breakage

if you use dry ice in your coolers you can take ice cream along

sat phone in case of emergency

Remember that you are limited by weight in the helicopters. We usually go in pretty heavy so we also charter the fixed wing through Bella Coola Air to take in a lot of gear, then the chopper slings it up to our camp.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have that program going with the fixed wing aircraft and have experience packing booze with some heli-in backcountry ski trips. I think I am getting the program figured out. I assume it is wise to take extra fishing gear such as:

2-3 lines
2-3 rods
extra waders/boots

As far as boats, we were planning on taking 2 super puma's (small whitewater rafts) with rowing frames. Also are mosquito's and bugs an issue in the beginning of Sept? Thanx for all your help Dana

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
the Best camps I have seen on the Dean were Mark Noble's of the Greased line in Vancouver,wa.He had everything including Ribs,Lobster,Bear fence ,a ton of Beer,Barbecue,a Bull horn to harass Walter the German !I missed him the last couple of years!!Beau

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
I've been in as "late" as the last week of August, and yes there were bugs--bring your DEET.

Extra rods, reels, lines, waders and boots, and a good new roll of duct tape are other essentials.

I also bring along extra flies and boxes, and a tying kit.

Test your leaders and tippet before you go in--nothing worse than discovering that new tippet spool is actually old stock that was not rotated properly at the shop.

Probably the best Dean River investment I ever made was a Petzl LED headlamp--they are great!

This might sound goofy, but if you don't have one take along one of those folding portable toilet seats and a folding shovel. Makes the morning paper much more relaxing...

·
Registered
318 Posts
bear repellents of all kinds. Bells for bear string or rope rings around camp; an inflatavble life jacket to wear at all time on the water wading or fishing and a big kapok one to wear while in the rafts; loud noise makers for bears, several two way radios for group contact and to warn about bears; whatever you can be wear wet and be comfortable wearing wet for several days. It can rain a week solid and heavy in there that time of year. all the camera batteries you can pack.

·
Tight line takes
829 Posts
If you realy want to go in style

Something we brought in a couple of years ago was a hot tub.It was pretty easy,let me explain. All you need is-copper coils to build a fire around, a bunch of heavy plastic tubing,a small battery operated shower pump,a cheap inflatable kayak.Build a fire in the middle of the coiled copper tubing,hook your pump up to circulate water into the kayak and keep recirculating from the kayak through the copper coils until presto!! a very nice one man soak on the river. We got temps of around 105 or so and it was fairly fast. Nothin better than a cold adult beverage while you are soaking and looking over the camp run. I can't wait to go myself, the first week of august is pretty close. Wheelhos, no matter what you bring,from minimal to overkill, it is an amazing adventure. Good luck to you !

Wake it don't Fake It!

The Waker

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All this info is great. Waker, I never in my wildest deviant fantasies would or could have imagined a hot tub; pretty crafty. I am making notes of all suggestions. Those little motorola radios are a real nice thought. I know it early, but has anyone been on the Dean yet this year? More thoughts on 'essential gear' would always be appreciated.---------'Hoss

1 - 15 of 15 Posts