Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to the Dean river this August and need to get my first spey rod. I have been fly fishing for 8 years but am new
to spey fishing. I need some recommendations for a rod for the
Dean for a beginner. Will a Redington or St. Croix work well
for me, or are the Sage and Scotts far superior? I realize that many things are subjective and personal for rod selection, but
I want to make sure that I get a good rod and don't make a
mistake. Thanks!

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
welcome, K-Trout!

aaaaahhhhh, the Dean! Going there myself this August!

Any good quality 8 or 9 weight Spey will serve you well on the Dean. Redington and St Croix are just fine, as are the Sage and Scott rods. There are suitable rods available in all price ranges.

Since this is your first Spey, think about going with an "all-rounder" line weight, which to me would be a 9. 14ft is a good length for this sort of rod. Most of the major rod makers have a rod in this weight/length.

Aaaaand, keep an eye out for the up-coming auctions here at the Forum. One of the items might be of interest to someone looking for a new Spey rod... ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Going to the Dean are you? Yes a spey rod will be quite a useful tool for you. I second Dana's recomendation for a 14" traditional action spey rod. They are probabally the best all arround rod. Good at everything, sink tips and floaters. Be sure to take lots of skaters with you, for you will be fishing to some of the most surface oriented steelies arround. And remember, when casting a spey rod "Less is More".

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I'll say it again... Anyone in the market for a spey rod NEEDS to be at the Spey clave on the Sandy in May.. Several people from the northern Cali Southern Oregon area come every year so don't think you are too far away. Thie is the best opportunity to learn about spey rods and spey fishing.. it is a Must attend event....

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
And I have another suggestion: first you'll get to meet Bob Pauli and

a lot of other Spey Nuts.

You're right about the choices to make, the 'learning to learn.' (Sorry if this sounds like a 'sales pitch') but I'd suggest you consider the Charity Spey Clinic. You'll learn from the very best of the best, try different rods/lines, etc., and etc.

Knowing what you want, and why, could save you hundreds of dollars. Think about it.
fae:D

·
Registered
886 Posts
Re: And I have another suggestion: first you'll get to meet Bob Pauli and

[iKnowing what you want, and why, could save you hundreds of dollars. Think about it.
fae:D [/B]
Fred,
Could you please explain the above quote. Everyone on this boards knows as soon as you see a new rod you have to have one. Where does the saving come from.:hehe:

Malcolm

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Hi K-trout - where in N Calif are you located? I am in Santa Rosa. IF you are close, plan to attend the fly fishing show in San Rafael - end of Feb, first of March. They have a lake there so plenty of opportunities to try spey rods. Let me know by dropping me a line and we can hook up at the show and I can help if I can. Simon G from Rio will be there for the show and demonstrating on Sunday.

Fred's idea of going to the Medford class is a grat one and so is Rob's regarding the spey clave.

Good luck

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Well I don't "want them all; just most." :>)

Willie Gunn said:

Fred,
Could you please explain the above quote. Everyone on this boards knows as soon as you see a new rod you have to have one. Where does the saving come from.:hehe:

Malcolm
Truthfully, 'experimenting' with several different rods at last years Charity Spey clinic did cost me a lot of money 'down line.' Given the number of different rods, lines (including the new XLT'S) I had the chance to try (and I mean realllllly try) several 'boys toys.'

The net result of that (over last year) was the purchase of a Sage 9140 and 9150, the xlt lines, and a LUST IN MY HEART for a Burkie rod. Which - And bless you my Son! - Inland provided an exceptional opportunity.

The "savings part," all kidding aside was the opportunity to try several rods/reels under real fishing/casting conditions. And try each for a considerable period of time. Some of the rods were beyond me (action not at all to my liking/style), others just glowed in the dark and sang my name.

Point to this is the Clinic provided hours and hours of on-river time and fishing conditions .... with the Worlds Best Instructors. (And they had the Grace not to Snigger too loudly at my feeble efforts).:smokin:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rod

Check out E-Bay. I just picked up a Flylogic Dec Hogan rod, new, with a factory blemish at a very good price. The rod comes well recommended by a friend of mine who is very proficient at spey casting. Hope this helps. PDY

·
Registered
10 Posts
mjyp said:
Its simple, he wants it all.:D
:

This Spey Fishing is a disease....Makes you spend all kinds of cash,lose Sleep,Agita,See what I mean...If My Wife only new
what this stuff costs...I might be Homeless......He he:eyecrazy:

·
Registered
92 Posts
There is a flyshop(Bear Creek Sports I think) that is selling a ton of FlyLogic rods,including Dec Hogan speys,on EBay for fantastic prices.I would definately check them out if you live in the US,but don't bother if you live in Canada because they won't ship up here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Flylogic Rods

Correct you are. I just bought a Dec Hogan 13' 7 weight from them. They have cosmetic blemishes and are being sold at reduced prices. They do come with full warranties. I had a very good experience with them. PDY

·
Registered
886 Posts
AH it was you.

Paul, I was bidding on that rod but had to go to bed before it closed, I wish the closing times were in GMT not funny American time zones.

I hope you enjoy fishing with my rod.

Malcolm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts