Spey Pages banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Tight line takes
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it legal to fish for steelhead at night on the Dean? Just wondering as I will be heading up there again this August for year 7 and some awesome fishing. I had heard rumor that it was legal but have never tried. I think hooking a big fish on a skater at night during a full moon would be pretty freaking fun. Of course as is usual on the Dean, water conditions and clarity would have to be perfect to allow the fish a chance to see your fly on the surface. I'm sure there is someone out there that has done this some where, maybe Washington state? Please do tell me a killer night fishing story.

Thanks
TheWaker

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Not illegal, but your fishing partners could well be 8' tall, very hairy and have breath that smells disturbingly like fish :Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
That was my big brother - I am only 6'2" tall - it just seems like 8' when I'm pissed off :eek:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
8 ftr

Kush,Dana,

When I left your camp at Cedar Hole a few yrs ago at night,I had a choice of two trails.I guessed right and picked the one without the 8ft friend with a lot of hair.I was told I just missed him.Not a lot of fun in the dark!!Beau

·
Tight line takes
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I know about the bears

I have seen them on every trip there.Blacks and griz, never had a problem.The bears I've seen wanted nothing to do with me.That's why you have a slug gun handy. Still, not one you of has ever thought about wetting a line at night? I think a glowing flourescent articulated leech would work just fine at night.Come on come clean. Someones got to have a night fishing story out there.I'm gonna give it a try this trip and I'll post my results.

TheWaker

·
Registered
141 Posts
think big and black. throw in some crystal mirror flash for good measure, and perhaps even some glow in the dark flashabou. if that doesn't move them then i don't know what to tell you. sure works wonders below the dams on the snake river for smallies and a few odd trout, plus 1 big catfish. :smokin:

·
Tight line takes
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks crobarr

I knew there were some experimenters out there. I think one of those pissed off 12# hens would be a kick. Just hearing your reel screaming line out into the void with some far off splashes from a 5 foot back flip! Man, I got to get there now. August is so far away. Now I'm all messed up just thinking about it!

TheWaker

·
Registered
65 Posts
kush said:
That was my big brother - I am only 6'2" tall - it just seems like 8' when I'm pissed off :eek:
people with velcro on their feet give Kush this extra height, huh kush.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Right on Cody ... low-lifers deserve the size 13's :lildevl:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Can't wait...

...to hear about your experience this coming Fall.

I used to flyfish Brown trout at night when I lived in Michigan (singlehanded rods) - what a trip. The absence of visual perception served to heighten the acuity of all other senses. Especially that of hearing - sound becomes incredibly magnified, you can just about feel it.

Will be interesting to see how Speycasting works in the dark... it seems such a visually cued technique to me that I've often wondered how well it would work. I've noticed that when I fish well into the fading light of evening that my casting starts to crap out when I can no longer track the landing of my line and fly for anchor placement. One idea I've had to alleviate this problem is to take one of those very "mini" Calyume sticks made for bass fishing and rig it onto the flyline at that point where the leader connection is made.

One last thought... every river that I've been on that has humans and bears in conjunction, the bear activity at least doubles at night. Their "attitude" also changes in that they become quite a bit bolder. Nighttime becomes "their" time to forage undisturbed and therefore they have less of a tendency to relenquish any ground (read as "fishing spots") to intruders. You should probably file the bead sight from off of the front of you slug gun so as it won't hurt so much when the bear shoves the barrel up your you-know-what!

Seriously though, have fun!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Riveraddict said:
Will be interesting to see how Speycasting works in the dark... it seems such a visually cued technique to me that I've often wondered how well it would work. I've noticed that when I fish well into the fading light of evening that my casting starts to crap out when I can no longer track the landing of my line and fly for anchor placement. One idea I've had to alleviate this problem is to take one of those very "mini" Calyume sticks made for bass fishing and rig it onto the flyline at that point where the leader connection is made.
maybe you need to add "electronics" to your hat. get some high intensity uv (black light) led's, and set them so they are pointed out in all directions. should light up a nice yellow windcutter or other light colored line. just keep them on top of your mellon cover or you will go blind.

·
Tight line takes
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I knew that was coming.

I knew I was going to hear some comment about the gun. I do realize that firing at a charging griz even for those well trained is ify at best. My thoughts on night fishing on the Dean anyway are, BIG fire on the beach, enjoying some frosty adult beverages with several friends and generally making a bit of noise. The bears will know where we are for sure. On speycasting at night, I'm thinking a nice easy 50-60ft single spey cast should cover enough water to hook something.:)

TheWaker

·
Registered
200 Posts
When do you sleep?

I can't imagine going out after dinner, a few adult beverages and a Cuban. But to answer your question, I do know a fellow that would fish with flies tied with glow-in-the-dark materials. And yes, he caught fish. Kept thinking he was nymphing in the dark and kept breaking off. About every 5 minutes he would kneel down on the bank and be doing something with his flashlight. I snuck up behind him and low and behold he was recharging the luminescent material with his flashlight.

This was on a Washington river in October.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts