Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been on the Dean this season? I am leaving on Sept 18 for a 2 week trip and would love to get a fishing report. Can anyone help please?

Thanks,

Pete.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
Pete,

If you look in the Destinations forum, I believe you will see some reports from a few weeks ago.

sinktip

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sink tip. I should have posted my request there! That is a report from the lower stretches. I am going up to the Giants pool and floating down from there. The little bits of info I have heard it sounds as if fishing has not been very good but would welcome any further info. Thanks.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Pete,

you'll probably have the best chance for success with that timing and that float. Giants to Victoria is a favorite of mine and a chance to see so much of the character of the "upper" Dean.

I have heard varied reports this season, but nothing really exciting (as in 10 fish days on dry flies). One lukewarm report from the area below the Sakumtha (a few 2-3 fish day, several fishless days, water conditions 1ft - 2ft vis); one poor report from the Totems 2 weeks ago. Another group of my friends is up there now. I'll post what I hear from them as soon as they contact me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The Dean

It was not to be for me this year, but I have good fishing friends that are regulars for roughly 20 years now. Mind you these guys are excellant rods. Three of them went later July. Recent floods have evidently blown out the lower river holding water, so just moving fish around. Average size appeared to be a bit smaller. They said the fishing was good ~ not great.

Please lemme know how it goes.

Regards,

Garry

·
Registered
200 Posts
It sucked last week

Aug 27-Sept 2

Day 1 River came up 4'
Day 2 River color = my wife's latte'
Day 3 & 4-Upper river well above Giant's-Fish did not want dry's-6/6 w/1 on dry-this is going to be a killer week
Day 5,6,7-0/1 with good visability-either there are no fish or they had lockjaw-This was my worst week in the last 12 years, except of course last year when the river was brown all week.

Sorry for the downer but I am sure you will do better than we did. The chinook run is late so you will probably have a lot of bears.

Have fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts