Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few fish in the ditch below the canyon during our week. Five and a third rods landed 9 steelhead. [One third rod = one person fished two days]
The fish that were hooked were strong. Beau landed a beauty that our head guide said was the hottest fighting steelhead he had ever seen--and Beau did so with a manlfunctioning reel! He represents the gold standard of steelhead fishermen.

A 13 pound steelhead showed me my reel's arbor--twice. That's over 1200 revolutions to recover 225 yards on a large arbor reel.

Chinooks of 35 and 20 pounds also landed.

Many runs changed somewhat, but only Bill's Run is unfishable--and that, IMHO, is not a great loss. I think the river below the canyon is now in better shape than before recent high water events.

J

·
0 Posts
Man, you're ankle must have healed real fast. I'm happy for you that you didn't end up having to cancel the Dean trip.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
beau purvis said:
Bob waded better with his cast on his ankle than he ever has prior to the break!! :razz: Beau
The angel on my right shoulder says that was the dumbest thing he could have done. But the Devil on my left says "WHO DA MAN! WOO WOO! NO HE DIN'T NO HE DIN'T! AAAAAH YEAH!" :D

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wore a brace on the outside of the waders that immobilized the ankle. That plus a friend's wading boot two sizes larger that securely held wader and brace.

When photos arrive, will post image.

The setup worked better than expected, but difficult wading was avoided.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Hey Beau, did you have another bougle blow up on you, or was it a different reel that malfunctioned? It's wonderful things worked out for you so well.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
same reel as on Litsa in Russia.the pall flipped out again.Fish wasnt big like on Litsa but was about 15#.took after 6 strips.hammered it and torqued off at blistering speed after I hit back.all that line on water zipped off and then hit the reel spool at full speed.too much for it!Fish did 150yds in 3 sec with barracuda breeches thrown in.Landed it eventually.Had lots of practice with free spooling hotties.Going to call Bill Arhculeta right now and see if can put a retainer on to stop that.The new ones have something on them to hold it .

·
Registered
889 Posts
Wow. That was some steelhead. 150 yards (I am sure it was accurately measured) in 3 seconds (I am sure it was accurately measured). Must be some sort of world record at 102.27 MPH. No wonder that pawl kicked out. Also amazed that the bearing didn't burn up and seize the shaft. ;) ;) ;)

William

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Floating Line Pink Steelhead

To relieve the sinktip boredom one afternoon, I put a Carron 11/12 Floating line with 75 foot belly on a T&T 1510-3 and landed six pink steelhead in the estuary area.

Beau insists on calling them "pinks." Where's the R-E-S-P-E-C-T ?

As a side note, it is interesting to watch gear bags and jackets that were placed safely high on a bank at the upper end of a run begin to float as one returns from the end of a run. Those 12-foot tide differentials can catch you!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Those estuary fish are always a tempting target...the "riverkeepers " down ther can be formidable though, and their presence has somewhat discouraged my glee in considering that spot...what are they 9-1o feet tall when standing and 5oo pounds? I used to walk down there in the old days on the airstrip and watch them (fish and riverkeepers)...if any of you have ever read the "Kimsquit" book (which I highly highly reccomend), I spect you would agree that it has some incredible stories about encounters down there with the brown fellas....hard to believe the fish canning facilities that used to be in that place..especialy looking at it now.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Beau's post reminded me that fishermen were not the only ones looking for fish. Here a skinny, hungry 5-year old grizzly walks the meat hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Why sink tips?

Bob: Just curious. WHy were you using sink tips? Was the water dirty or cold? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Mark,
The Dean River below the canyon [approx. 2 miles] is a sink tip fishery for migrating fish. The fish enter from the saltwater Dean Channel and boogie straight through, climb the falls in the canyon and hold in the river above for 8 or 9 months before spawning.

While there is occasional dry fly action below the canyon, it is above that most dry fly opportunities present themselves.

Of course, it is a truism that few fish are caught dry because few people fish dry.

Beau is more experienced on this water than most, keeps better records than most, and may have some data, or an opinion, on the history of dry lines here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts