Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A year ago I was told by several people the 2013 steelhead run on the river Dean was just terrible. What about the 2014 run?

One day I hope to fish the Dean in August ....

Paulo

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
I would to I would like to find a couple of guys on here that would like to plan a trip up there sometime. This seems the only way I get out is to plan and stick to it.

KC

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Whatever!

Let's not start this BS.

If there are steelhead we will find it one way or another.

I believe in sharing under the table, this is not Facebook!

Let's just get along?

KC

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Some truth to that.

and DIY-ers. Place is hardly a remote destination anymore
But just getting there can be one hell of a long drive. For Jollies I went to Rand McNal and punched in Medford, Oregon to Smithers, BC .... little short of 1400 miles ... one way. With odd days you can be a DIY or have to use a Guide (or can't fish at all?) I'd like to have a pretty clear set of expectations.

Even leaving from the Seattle area it would be a heck of a trip. Just my .02 cents. :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
The Dean and Smithers

I've not fished the Dean, but there's no drive-in access all the way. You can drive and get close, then you'll be parting with some coin to make the last leg via air or possibly the sea under special circumstances.

Everyone I know who has fished it says it's a special place with great fish. It's also more and more crowded every year, so the question of abundance is an important one. If there are heaps of fish in River X, then the crowding is tolerable, but if it's a down year and everyone is trying fish the same half dozen runs where most of the fish seem to be then the atmosphere can get a tad testy at times.

As the season is over, and, irrespective of the reply, people already know that the Dean is a world class steelhead river, I don't see how an answer one way or the other is going to affect crowding the next year. Unless people are naive enough to think that a good run in 2014 is going to presage a strong 2015. You pays your moneys and youse takes your chances.

Fred: it's a very long drive (750 miles) from Vancouver. The flights to Smithers or Terrace are US$700 round trip out of Vancouver. That's a non-trivial expense, and then add your rental car. You can't fish the majority of the Skeena or tribs Sat and Sun, so that puts you in camp working on gear or fishing a handful of beautiful lakes for native cutts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts