Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has tried either or hopefully both of these double handed rods for beach fishing using overhead casts. The exact two rods in question are the 11' Deer Creek 5 wt. switch and the 10 1/2' Beulah Classic in a 5/6 wt. Because of a bad shoulder, I find a couple of days in a row pounding out casts often into a wind tends to take its toll on it.

I don't plan on using either rod on the beach using typical spey casts because I don't want to disrupt the water in close to me because the fish are often close to shore so I don't want to spook them. I think even a touch and go could possibly do that.

Also, if you have used these two handed rods for O/H casts on the beach which lines do you feel are a good match for them? I appreciate any of your thoughts on this issue.

·
Banned
894 Posts
I tried using my DC 5 wt. Overhead off the beach and it was a wet noodle. It is definitely built more for water born casts. From what I understand you'd be better off with the guide series

sent from the North Pole

·
Registered
555 Posts
If you are going to use the rod exclusively for overhead beach casting you should consider a rod designed for casting overhead. Beulah has the opal series, TFO has the pandion, and there are others. Not that standard two handers won't work overhead, they will, but rods like the DC are pretty soft for overhead. As for overhead lines, a lot of folks use the rio outbound lines and I have heard good things about the Beulah serum line.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have owned the Beulah Classic 5/6wt. It is a great rod and pretty smooth for Skagit casting. Never did O/H casting with it, might be a little soft, unless you use a light line. Beulah Serum, Rio Outbound, Airflo 40+ are the typical 2-hand, O/H casting lines.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi: I've fished with various Deer Creek rods. Great for spey casting but their action just isn't suitable for OH casting. IMO, just too slow for OH. There might be others available in the US, but I can only speak to the rods available from the Canadian supplier.

Beulah makes some really nice switches that are compatible with OH casting. Again, the particular line you mentioned (Classic) is on the slow side for OH. However their 5 & 6 wt. Platnium switches are great on the beaches around VI for pinks and coho. Both rods could also be pressed into service as single-handers. They may not be to the liking of everyone due to their short bottom grip. Best to try one or both first.

I've tried other rods as well. My two current favourites are the Sage ONE 5116-4 and the ONE 4116-4. Both are reasonanly fast rods. I also have and use a Sage TCX 6119-4. It was rated as very fast, and I like the action for OH casting.

My preference for lines is where I differ with some. I have tried a lot of different lines, and the best two IMO are the Snowbee Switch (it is an integrated line) and I also really like the Steelhead Scandi Shorts c/w the various tips. I've tried Rio Outbounds, both short and regular heads, but just haven't been happy with them. Others milage varies so don't ignore them if you have a chance to try one. Another non-current line I really like is the Rio AFS integrated. It is also available as just a head. Again preferences vary.

Important to note that I'm not talking about surf outfits here. We fish in the Gulf so are not fishing in the open Pacific or Atlantic. Would use very different outfits in that environment!

Tight lines, Frank

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just to throw another idea into our rod choices, a few years ago I bought a couple of blanks from a fellow named Dan Craft in Oregon I think. He had some FT 10 ft blanks that made a dandy rod for overhead casting, they were pretty stiff,most guys overlined them by a wt or 2 but they cast a lot of line, I made a couple of switch rods from a 7 and a 5 wt. He may still have some left,just google Dan Craft,good honest guy. Daryl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts