Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Beautiful bug. And I never cease to learn something from McPhail.

How often do you fish plastic tubes? Even with a tip that seems like it would fish in jus the top few inches. I've never fished for Atlantics- are they that surface oriented?

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
Great video and beautiful fly.

Can you tell me why he uses wax on his thread when he ties in the wing?

Thanks!

·
Dreamer
525 Posts
Even with a tip that seems like it would fish in jus the top few inches. I've never fished for Atlantics- are they that surface oriented?
The flies do not need to get deep. Tips are mainly used for slowing swing speed rather than dredging bottom, even in high water. The fish are very surface oriented.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Tied with a red or orange body, I think this would be a killer Bulltrout or Dolly pattern as well.

I'm going to have to tie a few of these up for this winter.

Thanks for sharing this video.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a few answers...

Yes, I like to fish tips,,,some very long and heavy, and I am not sure i would be able to get it down where i would want to be for kings...the way the wing is stacked makes it look really buoyant but you never know until you get it wet....however, I would be inclined to test it and even sub in some material that might not be so "floaty"...but I sure like the pattern. I have experimented with Hoh bo spey patterns....I modify it with a little shorter loop on the shank, less flash or sub in something more subtle/or even take it out completely for the clearwater in ID, and ultimately I have something I really like....

The wax is for gripping stuff and needing fewer wraps in that part of the process....

But ultimately, he does start to stack stuff pretty high in the build for a lot of stuff he makes, which results in something not running very deep in the column but is likely ok for running under the surface for Altantics...imho.

But yes, i really like to watch him,,,learn something quite often which is why i post them up...Best to all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts