Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, this question is only for the those who have experienced all or some of these areas: BC steelhead, OR & WA steelhead, GL steelhead (had to throw that in :hihi: ), Gaspe Atlantics, Iceland and Scotland? OK, Cherry Salmon in Japan and Atlantics in Norway, too.

I am not looking for a 1 - 7 rating, but some thought and comments on why you prefer some of these areas. We have just scratched the surface on our steelhead/atlantic salmon adventure and would like to hear how your's is going.

David & Lynn Dornblaser

·
Registered
318 Posts
There really are two kinds of destination fisheries: the ones you can do on your own and the ones that you pay significant money to access to fish. BC is not cheap but can be a 7; Tierra Del Fuego has been strangely absent fr0m a lot of these discussions and is clearly a 7 on fishing but is expensive . The NW US fisheries are a 7(ie, cheap) on price and maybe a 2 on fishcatching...these are my opinions and I have perhaps not seen the NW US fisheries at their best, by any stretch of the imagination. If you want to catch fish and see some incredible country the TDF expeience is hard to beat, even though I have been to BC ten times more than TDF....I have had only margainal contact with the great lakes fisheris and they clearly are accessable for the do it yourselfer, but have nto bee ngood fishcatching experiences for me. As you proably know, the salmon fishing in the Russian and Iceland and Norway areas is quite expensive if you want any assurances of having good catching(and even that can be iffy)...

·
Registered
141 Posts
i've fished all over oregon, and a few places in washington and n. california, plus a little up in alaska. of all the places i've fished, my favorite places happen to be close to home. necanicum, n.f. nehalem, salmonberry, upper trask, upper nestucca, mid. - upper wilson. all these places have 1 thing in common at 1 time of the year or another: the chance to fish all day and not see another soul, and still have a reasonable chance at hooking a fish. if i want to see/talk to someone else while fishing then that person arrived with me. call me anti-social but i value my time alone with the river.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The Spey in Scotland had another good season this year with close to 10 000 atlantic salmon caught again this season close to 70% were released.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i just drive till i see water

then i fish ,unfortunately i drive `the old highway'(s),that run parallel to the Rogue,doubt i could make it to the airport :chuckle:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Whiskey Dick said:
thats good news Willie, did you have a good season? :)
Malcolms season never ends!! :chuckle: fish be aware!!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Whiskey Dick said:
thats good news Willie, did you have a good season? :)
Excellent season thank you very much..................130 atlantics with over 92% returned. The odd grilse kept for the pot in the summer months.
The fish are fast approahing spawning.

Already planning for 2006 ith a raid on the early opening North rivers.............Jan 11th in Sutherland Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts