Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys did Justin Trudeau charge you Duties and taxes on your direct factory purchase, I just got hit with a 60 $ hit

Thanks

·
Banned
501 Posts
At least until 2018, when reel came to US via Swedish/US Postal Service there was NO duty fee or any sale tax.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fedex Receipt for Payment said

Duties and HST 65.70

:(

Was it duties or HST (federal-provincial taxes). Virtually MOST purchase over 100, will get caught with HST. I think the US has a lower "catch" point.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm, maybe it is to help pay for the recent cost to run the country, once it arrives I will get a breakdown

·
Registered
303 Posts
Standard.

If you were to purchase within Canada, you'd pay the HST as well, and duties are wrapped into your retail price.

It's a painful ding these days with every Meiser rod I purchase.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have not made a purchase form them in over a year but on the purchases I did make no additional fees applied. Also, I am almost certain that all arrived through CP and not FedX, maybe that's the difference.

·
Banned
501 Posts
Back Eddy,

Did they send you via FedEx ??

Even in US , USPS or FedEx will always charge you !!!!!!!!!!!

If item are sent via Postal Service Network, there is no any additional charges.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That may be the change at Danielsson The last one I got was from Post Sweden I will contact and see

Reactions: borano20

·
Registered
34 Posts
Got the same surprise. Ordered two reels. They arrived quick with Fedex but had 123 $ to pay. First time this happens ant its true that it was with CP before...

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have sent Team Danielsson an email they may not be aware of the inconvenience

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
It appears PostNord and Canada Post relationship has resulted in that tracking support is no longer passed. In fact, I thought I saw a PostNord warning about shipping to Canada, so Danielsson may have switched carriers in response.

..... June 12th update. I cannot find or see the orginal warning, i refer to. It was on a maker of Carving Tools, from Swedish.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aghh many thanks makes sense, wonder if Danielsson will consider that, not sure they can do anything for a single country that is so messed up it needs a penny for anything done between it's borders

Is mail delivery not a service where a pile of my all ready taxed tax dollars go ........Sorry for the rant

·
The Skeena in the fall
313 Posts
Aghh many thanks makes sense, wonder if Danielsson will consider that, not sure they can do anything for a single country that is so messed up it needs a penny for anything done between it's borders Is mail delivery not a service where a pile of my all ready taxed tax dollars go ........Sorry for the rant
It's not clear if it was mailed and delivered by Canada Post or sent by FedEx or UPS.
I always get charged PST/GST plus paperwork fee if delivered by UPS or FedEx
Have never been charged when delivered by RoyalMail/Canada Post from the UK or USPS/Canada Post from the States.

Whenever I am shopping for something if the seller only ships by UPS or FedEx I pass.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fedex

Mentioned in Previous post

Issue seems to be Danielsson has changed their shipping process

It's not clear if it was mailed and delivered by Canada Post or sent by FedEx or UPS.
Have never been charged when delivered by RoyalMail/Canada Post from the UK or USPS/Canada Post from the States.

Whenever I am shopping for something if the seller only ships by UPS or FedEx I pass.

·
The Skeena in the fall
313 Posts
Mentioned in Previous post

Issue seems to be Danielsson has changed their shipping process

By changing their shipping process do you mean they did not mail the reels via Canada Post and instead shipped them some other way?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fedex

They shipped via fedex

By changing their shipping process do you mean they did not mail the reels via Canada Post and instead shipped them some other way?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I think that you were always liable for the duty/vat equivalent but were very fortunate in escaping it. It sometimes happens here, but of late never.
There are many duty calculators which calculate what is theoretically chargeable from one country to another, type of goods, value shipping etc.
As stated, but many countries worldwide hurting and many more people buying online due to the lockdowns, they are most likely taking a more close look at these things.

eg https://www.simplyduty.com/import-calculator/

Using a value of $200 CAD reel with say $50 shipping and no insurance, it comes to $37 VAT

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes and conformation Danielsson has stop shipping via Poste they now utilize Fedex

We changed to fedex for their delivey acurancy.We did that in late january.

NOTE this does not take anything away from their quality product, it merely puts them at a different price point where you get a quality reel at a not of such a great bargain as before in Canada

1 - 20 of 77 Posts