Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Researching capacities on the old Loop/current Danielsson reels and have found a tremendous variance in information. I'm primarily trying to determine how much 20 lb. backing I can get on a LW 6Nine with a WF 6 or its equivalent. Read everything from WF 6 + 95 yds of 20 lb. (Cabelas 2004 fly fishing catalog) to WF 9 + 250 yds of 20 lb. (Feather-Craft Spring 2005 catalog). While some sources list capacity as a WF 7 + 150 yds 20 lb. (Kaufmann's 2005 catalog). Danielsson itself quotes yet another number. Obviously, those all can't be correct. Anyone know for sure?

Should have mentioned that the reel will be used for a one-handed rod and a light two-hander that works best with long belly single hander line. Just curious as to what I might shoot for in terms of 20 lb. dacron with the WF 6, and figured someone with more experience with the reel knew.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Think someone has got confused between the 4seven and 6nine. :Eyecrazy:
I have a 4seven and have crammed a cortland 444 floater on it with about 75yds of orvis braided dacron backing. I have to be a bit careful about line lay (like you would with a multiplier reel) and when I'm playing a fish I sometines play the line by hand for the last ten feet to make sure that the line won't catch the frame and cause a snap-off, but it fits.
Im sure the 4seven would comfortably hold a WF6F with 85yds of fine backing (esp if you use GSP which is what Loop and Danielsson quote for their capacities). This is what Danielsson state on their website too (for the 4seven).
They quote WF9F and 240yds 20lb GSP for the 6nine and I have no reason to doubt this either as the spool is much deeper than the 4seven.
One thing to watch is what sort of line you are talking about. A WF9F means a conventional AFTMA rated line not a spey line on tha LW standards. A spey line (esp a long belly one) is much heavier longer and consequently takes much more room. :(
For a 6nine with a WF6F you'd get far more backing than you'd ever need, well in excess of 500yds. If the fish was that far away it would take forever just winding it all back in! You'd also want to attach the spool to a cordless drill just to wind it on in the first place. :D
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Salmonick,

No reference to gel spun backing on the Danielsson site that I see. That would explain the very different capacities that are qouted for the same reel, but I can't seem to locate that reference. Maybe we're looking at different sites?

Not interested in using gel spun, though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Think it must have been on the old Loop website that mentioned the Gelspun when that still had the old reels showing.
As I said though, I don't use gelspun - I tend to use orvis Hi-Viz dacron as I got a couple of bulk spools of the stuff - and if I had a WF6 on my 4seven I'd have room for 75yds of dacron on there very easily. The 6nine has a much bigger capacity - similar to my 2W, and I have a Hardy Mach1 shooting head system #8/9 on that with at least 150yds of orvis backing (again dacron not gelspun) with loads of room to spare. Should you put a WF six on that it would look empty and you'd need a huge amount of dacron backing on there. You'd even fit a couple of hundred yards of braided mono on there if you wanted and that stuff does take up some space!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After getting an odd email related to this same question posted on another forum accusing me of asking a "stupid question," I thought I should clarify. I'm not concerned that I can't get enough backing on the reel. There's no question about that. I am trying to figure out how much backing I need to mail order to be able to fill the spools somewhere reasonably close to full. I have the reel plus three extra spools and no local shop within reasonable driving distance with bulk backing available, so I have to determine how much to order.

Anyone know the approximate difference in capcity, i.e., percentage reduction, you get by going with 30 lb. as opposed to 20 lb. dacron? Just as a general rule?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.