Spey Pages banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bid on this 2nd-hand reel on eBay in order to acquire a cheap backup, plus the DT11F line (can always use more raw material for line-splicing). To my surprise and delight, it's more than I bargained for. ($56 including postage)
This 4-1/4" (1-1/4" hub width) English 12-ouncer is a handsome brute, dark bronze/gray anodized, with a palming rim and click drag which, at maximum, even with just one pawl engaged, should be ample for anything I'm likely to hook. And the drag sounds delightfully Hardyesque. I find myself thinking: "This is the spey reel that Hardy should be making."

Now I'm wondering if there are any smaller models in this Daiwa 800 series. Anybody familiar with them?

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
Hi Nooksack Mac

I used to be the fly fishing consultant for Daiwa UK for about 10 years, before I moved to the US and Thomas & Thomas. The 813 reel you spoke of was always relaible and solid. There is also a 812 reel which is the same size, but narrower and for lighter lines. Daiwa revamped the reels slightly about 4-5 years ago and changed the name (or number!) to 913 and 912.

The reels are made by JW Young in England and were so popular that the same model was used for a range of reels for Bruce and Walker and Shakespeare.

I hope this info helps.

All the best
Simon Gawesworth
:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts