Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an old clicker for a 10'6" 3wt trout spey without breaking the bank and have come across one of these in very good condition. However I can't find very much info online about them other than that they were made for Daiwa by JW Youngs and based on their 1500 series. I'm wondering if anyone has come across one of these and if they know if it would be appropriate on a small trout spey.

Thanks

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
2,317 Posts
They come around from time to time. I think though for 3wt it will be too heavy. Plus I don't think the foot will fit on the seat if they use the standard Young foot. The are a tad longer and fat. Because of this most modern reel seats don't open enough to accept them. It is possible that your will and just grab it. Anything else in the 6/7/8wt range would likely work well for you though. What I think you might like is a Redington AL 7/8wt. I had a gold one. There a little smaller diameter but wide. Nice Reel. No longer made but they are around.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
I am looking for an old clicker for a 10'6" 3wt trout spey without breaking the bank and have come across one of these in very good condition. However I can't find very much info online about them other than that they were made for Daiwa by JW Youngs and based on their 1500 series. I'm wondering if anyone has come across one of these and if they know if it would be appropriate on a small trout spey.

Thanks

The Young reels of that style, and the ones they licensed to many other companies have very “big bones”. They can be great inexpensive matches for longer and heavier Spey rods. Might be a little much for that rod. The good news is that on that rod any old clicker designed for a 5-6 wt single hand rod should be about perfect. eBay is literally packed with old classic but inexpensive reels in this category. So my advice would be to get something off eBay that is a little lighter but that appeals to you in the $35-$75 range. 4-6 oz empty and/or matching a 5/6 single hand line should be great.

An old pfluger medalist, for example, would be both cheap and classic!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys very helpful, I had a feeling that it may be a little on the heavy side so thanks for confirming my suspicions. I will check out eBay and see what pops up.

Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts