Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the UK and am new to Spey casting and double handed rods although I have fly fished for about 14 years, I have a budget of £200, and I want to purchase a double hander preferably a 15ft one.
I have searched extensively on the internet for rods in my price range but I have no experience of the quality and reliability of the different brands. I cannot afford the top makers like hardy or Bruce & W. , so I have found that Daiwa, Greys of alnwick, Redington and Vision 3-zone are among the affordable ones but I don't know which would be best for decent spey casting. I have been told that daiwa whisker are good but I have also read some negative posts on this forum about the rods breaking sometimes.
I would be very grateful for any advice. Thanks, Peter.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Peter, can you get to the Game Fair at Blenheim this weekend? Most people will advise you to try before you buy, and this is your best opportunity to do so in the UK. Judging by your home waters, you're based in the Midlands, so with luck it won't be too far from you. You'll see some awesome speycasting, too, from the best casters in the world! There's sometimes a good deal to be had on tackle, too.

I can't comment on the rods you mention, and anyway it's difficult to say what's best in absolute terms; personal preference plays a large part. However, a couple of rods you might like to consider are the old model Daiwa Lochmor Z's, in 15' for either a #10 or #11 line. Sportsmail have them at a reduced price that brings them within your budget, though they were formerly over £300.

Although B&W Norways have a list price of over £300, they can be bought for £250, if your budget will stretch to that. Fawcetts are normally pretty competitive on these, but you will probably have to ring them to get their best price. You won't go wrong with one of them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying I might try and go to game fair, I tryed sportsmail and theyve sold out of the lochmor z 15ft, although its still on theyre website. I have beentold by someone else too to stretch to a bruce & w. norway and I have spotted them on fawcetts website, but I dont know if I could pay that much and still have enough to actually fish. You see I am going to Ireland in the second week of August, to try the Blackwater again but its pricey. I would love a Bruce & Walker but I may be getting ahead of myself with it, after all I havent tryed speycasting yet and it looks pretty tricky.
anyway thanks for the tips. :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
B+w

Peter , run for the B+W ,you wont regret it ,I bought my first 15' from them via sportsmail back in 88 its still going strong .20 years on, its more than paid for itself .

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Instruction

Peter - unless you already spey cast with a single hander or will overhead only, plan to spend some time and money on instruction. That will shorten the learning curve and reduce the frustration level. You can have top-of-the-line equipment, but if you can't cast with it you will not fish well or enjoy the equipment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts