Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a new/old Daiwa 15' amorphous Jim Love special. Does anyone have any line recommendations?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Verne

I have fished this rod for over a decade until quite recently and found it to be a fantastic workhorse. The lines that worked for me were the original mint green SA's mastery spey the Lee Wulf triangle taper spey and a Wetcel2 which i found rolled to the surface with less effort than the current rod . The rod thats replaced the trusty daiwa is the sage 15'1 green European which i find to be very similar in action albeit the daiwa being a little heavier and slightly more powerful.
I think any speyline will work well with this rod as its extremely forgiving and rewards a well timed cast.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Beast

You have yourslf one powerhouse of a rod. I fished with one for a couple of seasons, 10-12#.

Personally I think you could fish any modern mid-long belly line, although when I had it I used a courtland 11# DT. WF spey lines were not in the lime lite at that time.

The heavier the line the better, from my experience. :lildevl:

Have fun you have a great rod. :)

Tight lines

Gordon

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the feedback. I was able to fish the Daiwa with a 9/10/11 WC line with a sinktip this week. I don't necessarily think that is the best line for it, I think a longer belly line would probably perform better. It makes me slow down a bit, from some of the rods I use, but it is pleasant to cast, if heavy.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
interesting

i have a half dozen Daiwa's,my `allarounder' is an Amorphous Kevlar 16-11-12 rating,people say `it's heavy',but,like the song;he's not heavy=he's my brother!,the wullf for distance,the SA for heavier `add-ons',in fact,the rod will handle everything i've ever strapped on,even more than my 18 ft'r,something about the `amorphous' braid=?,,,Daiwa's two-handers are really an unknown entity in the states, i enjoy having what other's don't,should be a good one!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is interesting to compare the fittings on it like the spigot ferrules and reel seat with contemporary US/Asian rods, different way to accomplish the same thing, not inferior in any way.
It will indeed cast heads and dig intruder flies out nicely, but I am thinking it might be too much rod for me, at least for all extensive fishing.
My 15' Orvis rod casts about the same lines but is much stiffer, faster, lighter and less forgiving.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
stiffer, faster,lighter,less forgiving

wall now!,that's the `gig',,,less forgiving,,,i'll not drone on about rod lengths/actions,in fact;any `spey' rod is a damn good thing because of what they do for you afoot,one thing about the Daiwa's is=they are well engineered to fit a price range,,,and they get the job done,,remember who builds Honda's,toyota,s,etc.etc.,i believe i saw one of the Amorphous daiwa's on e-bay U.K. with the `Jim love' name on it recently,how does your Daiwa compare to your Orvis pricewise?,and since ~we~ are comparing the two= `load em up!" :hihi: and tell us wich one folds up first,,,i'm not grinding on you,,,,just a challenge thing for you,,old versus new versus max [email protected] what distance :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have Daiwa Amorphous "Jim Love Special" 15' 9-10-11 3-piece, if you are interested. Have allso a Hardy Marquis #3, to make it a perfect setup, if you will. :smokin:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
not I !

i can rely on my `heavy salmon' 16,and i have an unused one just in case,if i purchase any more two-handers they will be loooong ones=17=18's,i do have a B-W 16, and a daiwa `cross river' 16 bareley used that could go to new homes myself :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually I paid more for my Daiwa than I did for my Orivs. I bought both new on eBay. The Orvis is a very powerful tip action rod, not very forgiving of timing mistakes. The Daiwa has a much deeper bend, but is somewhat powerful. Both cast farther than I want to fish.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Jim Love Daiwa

the Diawa rod that you have was designed a few years ago, i often saw Jim Love fishing it on the Spey, and he could really cast, i think he fished a lot of heavy sunk lines, Its got loads of power, and he cast it so easy, you just cant rush it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts