Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
PiscatorNonSolumPiscatur
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I learned the hard way today not to use these hooks. They straighten out with a good fish. Coincidentally, I learned the same lesson several years ago in the very same run with the Gammy light wire hooks. :(

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Dana said:
Which Gammys? Picked up some Finesse Wide Gap #230408 to use as tube hooks this fall but now you've made me nervous...
Dana-
Don't be nervous. I've been fishing the the Gammi Finesse Wide Gap in a sz 1 since last Fall. Landed my share of fish on them fishing #12 Maxima without a problem. They've become my absolutely favorite hook...every fish that I have solidly hooked up with that hook has to come hand (and because of the gap design and light wire, it doesn't take much to solidly hook a fish with that hook).

With that said, when fishing #12 Maxima, I have bent out a couple when pulling as hard as I could straight to a hang-up. Which I don't mind one bit...

Green-Butt-
A question for 'ya? What rod and leader are you fishing. Quite often a hook bending out is a product of that tackle that is being used to fish it and NOT a problem with the hook itself. If you are fishing a smaller and/or lighter hook with stout tippet on a stout rod, you are going to bend them out.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Ryan,

that's good info--thanks! I feel better now. I have that hook in 1, 2 & 4. The 2s seem to be the ones I'd likely use most often given the way they sit in my tubes, but the 1 seems the best choice for my big first light monstrosities.

·
PiscatorNonSolumPiscatur
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dana,
The Gammy hook that bent is their light wire version of thier traditional steelhead/upturned eye. I can't remember the # at the moment. Upon inspecting this hook one can see that it is very springy and bends very easily.

NrthFrk16,
I must take some responsibility for this hook bending. I had forgotten my light tippet spools and only had 15# Maxima with me-- which I had just tied one on fresh. The rod was a 1509 T&T. The fish got in really fast water and I know I used too much pressure, but I remembered I had on the 15# tippet so was not too concerned. Had I used what would have been more "normal" pressure I'm sure the hook would not have bent. However, I'm still dissapointed in the hook. A buddy just told me he has had these hooks bend. Didn't ask him yet the circumstances.
I'm wondering if there is some hook bending test that someone out there has done, similar to the knot testing that has been of discussion lately.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Hey Greenbutt, I am curious to know what size the Dai-Riki 899 hook was? Thanks

·
PiscatorNonSolumPiscatur
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dana,
I think that is it.

MJC,
It was a #2. Maybe it was just a bad hook. It hasn't been in my mind that the weakest link in the system could be the hook. Makes me think about playing fish in a new light. I've always been one to get the fish in as quickly as possible, but may back off on that in some situations now.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
GB, thanks for the info. I've always considered that hook "hell for stout", especially in the larger sizes. I will be giving them a closer look as I sell those. I appreciate the heads up.

·
PiscatorNonSolumPiscatur
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These were some hooks I got on Ebay last winter thinking I would try them. I've got quite a few tied up and will continue to use them with caution. It was an extreme condition that caused the hook to bend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts