Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dug out my father's old trout creel, and the thought of taking it out on the creek a time or two appealed to my memories of us fishing together.

The wicker is dry and untreated. Would you spray it with some sort of varnish before exposing it to the elements, or leave it as is?

ta

Attachments

·
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[MENTION][/MENTION]
that hole big enough?
Well, not for steelhead, but for the little brookies I collect, just big enough.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get some good Penzoil 10-30. :wink2:

Neatsfoot should do the trick, don't you reckon?

Thanks Shawn!

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
I bet spray-on marine spar varnish would look good and protect it very long term. Put on coats and carefully wipe down any excess until fully empregnated. I guess it really depends on how “authentic” you want to be, or if that even matters to you in this case or all you care about it the final result. The varnish, if properly applied, might even be functionally better than something more traditional.

When fishing last week one of my fishing buddies mentioned that there is a book on creels with photos. Maybe that would give you some ideas on how you want it to end up looking.

·
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your suggestions and help. :smile2:

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,568 Posts
Myself, I wouldn't use a varnish or similar. These sorts of products will eventually peel. It would be a bear to clean it up if that happens. I would use some sort of oil on it. it will soak in and protect it as well as keep it softish. You may need to apply several coats at first then a periodical maintenance coat. The oil will also prevent it from soaking up water and rotting it.

Dan

·
Outerhebrides
199 Posts
old creel

If you are going to use an oil, I would go with food-grade mineral oil, unless you are fond of the taste of neatsfoot, etc. if you are going to use a film finish, there are some new-fangled wipe-on water-based polyurenthanes that you could apply with a mostly-dry brush. They might peel eventually, as some have warned. Wicker lives a long time given half a chance. Making sure the creel is allowed to thoroughly dry after it is used might be as important as anything else! Good luck. My dad had one just like that....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Linseed Oil penetrates great, but be careful with disposal of any rag used. Spontaneous combustion can easily occur. As a kid, I left the rag on the kitchen counter one morning. Later, the sun came up shinning through the window. Rag started smoking like my father’s pipe. Got it to the door and tossed it into the snow as it burst into flame. Learned a good lesson.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
Linseed Oil penetrates great, but be careful with disposal of any rag used. Spontaneous combustion can easily occur. As a kid, I left the rag on the kitchen counter one morning. Later, the sun came up shinning through the window. Rag started smoking like my father’s pipe. Got it to the door and tossed it into the snow as it burst into flame. Learned a good lesson.

your mum must have been a saint to allow you a dirty rag in the kitchen.

cheers,
and noted,
shawn

·
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
JD
3,609 Posts
I was thinking Linseed oil. On second thought though, any type oil will probably leave a foul taste to the fish, vegetable oil being the least offensive. Not only that, it will contaminate the creek water should it get wet, and it very likely will. The old timers used to put a layer of wet moss in the bottom of their creels, good luck finding enough of that.

I would just leave it alone a make sure it doesn't get put away wet after use.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts