Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wes Drain's D20 is one of my personal favorite flies. I really just love the story behind it, seeing as it caught the Washington state record steelhead that held up for quite a few years. This variation uses a toucan sub for the tail veil, and GP for the cock of the rock sub. This one came out slightly messier, but that's what I get for not tying for a week.

Cheers,
Jake

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,628 Posts
Really nice tying Jake !!
I have always been a fan of Drain's 20, especially in smaller sizes for "A" runs here in the GL's.
Very nice photo too :)

Mike

·
Registered
864 Posts
The D20 may be a good fall pattern in sizes #8 and #10.

Thanks for sharing your fine tying.

Doug

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Very Clean Lines , more inspiration, that in a size 6 holds some of my favorite attributes for tempting Atlantic's

Nice tying

Reactions: Goldru5h

·
Registered
11 Posts
That is fantastic! Your head is perfect. What did you use for the body? I see different options online and when I zoom into your pic it almost looks like dubbing. I have been experimenting with using Uni-Stretch pink floss for a D20 body, but that's really just an experiment. Again, your fly looks amazing, ties like this are pretty inspirational. Thanks for posting!

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is fantastic! Your head is perfect. What did you use for the body? I see different options online and when I zoom into your pic it almost looks like dubbing. I have been experimenting with using Uni-Stretch pink floss for a D20 body, but that's really just an experiment. Again, your fly looks amazing, ties like this are pretty inspirational. Thanks for posting!
Oh I don't know about perfect, but thank you! The recipe I follow is from John Shewey's Classic Steelhead Flies, which calls for a body of fluorescent red wool. I used Chinese Red UniWool dubbed onto my thread so I had a little more control over the taper. I also tie this fly with a pink floss body when I use smaller wire hooks. There are a ton of ways you can vary this fly. Your compliments are much appreciated, I'm glad it inspired you. You should tie up your version and post it!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Sounds Like a Challenge

I am in, will work on it shortly

, I'm glad it inspired you. You should tie up your version and post it!

Reactions: Goldru5h

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Rendition all be it rushed

Wifey had other things more important than tying a fly (can you imagine)

Had to burn through this pretty quick but you get the idea of my take on this pattern

Like yours better :)

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Really love the look of this pattern. I caught most of my clear water fish on red and black this year. The yellow butt and white just add some contrast to catch attention, If i ever stop fishing big shank flies i'll be trying this pattern

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wifey had other things more important than tying a fly (can you imagine)

Had to burn through this pretty quick but you get the idea of my take on this pattern

Like yours better :)

How could your wife think there are more important things than fly tying? :chuckle:

This is a really good tie. I especially like the dubbed body all picked out, that thing will glow under the water.

I'd fish your fly any day, any run!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts