Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas,

After a couple years of running with a WC 9/10/11 on my 9140-4 brownie, I am strongly thinking of ordering up one of the new SA Mastery XLT lines in a 8/9 size.

I love the RIO lines, but finally realized that the WC 9/10/11 (with the additional "upgrade" section installed) is really overlining my 9140. So it's time to try something different. I considered the Grandspey 8/9, but after reading about SA's new line, I want to give it a try.

It looks like the XLT is only available as a full floater, and I find myself fishing tips more often than not. So I anticipate (gulp) cutting back this wonderful new line and looping tips to it sooner than later.

My question for you guys is two fold:

Where should I make the cut, 15' up from the tip, or do I need to go further up, maybe 20' ?

And, assuming the XLT is a 8/9, will I be able to use a 120 grain (8 wt) sinktip, or should I step down and use a 105 grain (7 wt.) tip to prevent hinging and ensure a good turnover?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys might have.

Merle (long time lurker, second time poster).

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Lines

From an earlier post
This is what you want

XLT: 6/7 7/8 8/9 9/10 10/11
Forward Taper (feet) 87 91 90 92 99
Rear Taper (feet) 19 16 18 14 16
Total Head Length (feet) 108 107 108 106 115
Total Line length (feet) 120 130 130 140 140
Suggested placement of loops (feet from front of line) for sink tip use 18-20 20-22 24-25 27 28
Maximum suggested grain weight (15 foot sinktip) 160 170 200 260 300

well it looks a perfect table here till I post then the wheels come off

Last edited by Willie Gunn on 09-08-2003 at 03:01 PM

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
9140-4 for longg belly?

Merle
I am not sure this rod is good for long belly work. Second, the XLT is an expensive line to do surgery on until you are sure it is what you want.

Go talk with Aaron at River Run, a sponsor, in Carnation. he will help you try out some lines with your rod. He will get you lined out with good advice.

·
loco alto!
2,979 Posts
those grain designations seem a little high for 15' of line - are they based on a 30' head?

for example, Rio T14 is 14 gr/ft, which scales to 210 grains/15ft. The recommended grains for the 15' tips on several XLTs exceed this

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Defer to WG

I will defer to WG. I know Dr. Way and Steve use heavy tips with their cut back XLTs, but 15 feet of T14 does sound a bit much!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everybody for their input. The amount of knowledge and info on this forum is incredible.

I had actually seen the XLT compatibility chart before... that's where I figured the 8/9 would be the best choice. I think the chart does also recommend the 7/8, but with a caveat to use it for dry line use only. Sparkey and Pescaphile: Do you think that the 7/8 will handle tips okay on this stick?

WG: Your matrix is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. I'm going to see if I can print it out.

Ted: I'd like to hear more about the 9140-4 not being best for a long belly line... I figured that it being an old limber "traditional" action rod that I would have the best luck sticking with more traditional spey casts with a longer continuous taper line. Arent the shorter belly + running lines (windcutters...) more suited to the faster action rods of today and shooting line? I know the 9140 brownie will never be a cannon. I'll probably never get more than 90 feet out of it. I just want to find the best type of line to match the capability of this rod.

Thanks again everybody.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
9140-4 Line recommendations

Merle
Again, I would recommend that you go to River Run, since you are close, with your rod and check out some lines on it to find out what works best for you.

I ran tips on a shooting taper on this rod. The head was 11 or 12 wt line. In essence, a Skagit or RIO Scandanavian system. It worked well to the 90 ft range.

A midspey would have you shooting only a little line to get to 90 feet (65' head + 4' leader).

I will have to get out the 9140 and try it with the 7/8 and 8/9 XLT. Still, that will be for my interest and will not be you casting.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Merle,
I agree with the others 7/8 and as a max. I've thrown a 6/7 on a 8150 and thought it might be a half line heavy. I throw a 8/9 on a 10151 and have thrown it on a CND Salar and thought it was great match. On a 9140 it would flex through the reel seat.

andre

1 - 11 of 11 Posts