Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about picking up a couple fall favorites 45's and cutting them for tips. The only reason I dont want WA45 is because its cut at 12' and in some water I fish 12' is a bit small (think Muskegon swinging out of a boat).

I have the scale and tips Im planning on using are Rio 15'ers. Do I just measure original 15' floating cut of tip and simply order matching grain weight Rio tips?

This to me sound fairly simple but just wanted to check before I go ahead and chop up $120 line...

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
What size if FF45 are you going to cut ?

Cutting any FF 2-3 feet further to the back gives you a better turnover, specially in difficult conditions, and a position of the loop to loop connection won't affect a performance of a floating combo.

In case of 8/9, a factory cut works well for 110 or even 129 gr Rio 15' tips, while with further cut, 129 gr ( wt.9) works beautifully.

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im looking at 7/8 and 9/10 Fall Favorites.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
The cutting but an extra 2-3 feet works very well specially for FF70 and also 55.
The 45 has better turnover at factory cut point and should carry a bit heavier sink tip then the weight of the floating tip.

The original WA 8/9 cast 110 gr 15' very well so for 7/8, 95 ( wt.7) should work well and for 9/10 ( 129 gr, wt.9).

You can always write an email to Simon to make sure as the design has changed slightly.

If you are planing to cast a good size fly, why not to use Steelhead 45, float-intermedate head

You probably want to go one size lower then corresponding WA/FF 45 and for STF 45 use either 10' , 85 gr or 95 gr Rio 10' tip or 110 gr 15'.

In case you order a bit heavier STF, an adjustment is easy, simply cut form the back and re-loop.

If with WA you would use type 6 tip, then SFT ( F-I) , which has 10' front fast Intermediate section in the front of the head, needs 10-15' type 3 tip, to place a fly at the similar depth.

Also STF has noticeable superior turnover.

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never f* mind... just got of the phone with them. Full lines are no more available... very sad day for me as I wanted one to do all line.

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess its more personal preference but to me if I get a line to fish dry and still be able to dredge then why in the world would I want that in head format... Yes, its a compromise one way or the other but I find myself it scenarios where I could use skagit but scandi would do as well, this means one thing... shooting for the middle ;)

·
Banned
4 Posts
Never f* mind... just got of the phone with them. Full lines are no more available... very sad day for me as I wanted one to do all line.
Sounds like a cost-cutting measure. I like this company and want them to stay in business No love on ebay or craigslist for full lines? I'm about to pick up a FF45 7/8 570 grain 'head'.

Thankfully, I rather like nylon running lines for 2-handers whereas decades ago I became frustrated with having to constantly change nylon running lines on single-hand shooting head systems and drifted to almost exclusively using coated core running lines. Still loop-to-loop though.

Though I must admit, I don't understand why all the bother to customize the FF45 for sinking tips. Your rods are presumably long enough to aerialize 15 foots tips with no difficulty. Or you do as I do with my 12 1/2 foot Sage TCX and reach into the butt for the power to launch tips longer than the rod, e.g., 14' and 15'?

These days one can easily cut tips at desired length and chosen weight. Why 10' or 15' when just over 13'4" might dial it in?

In terms of fine-tuning the drift: the angle of the presentation, and mending choices along with rod position and the potential to strip provide the angler flexibility that could never be covered by tip lengths choices alone.

Or maybe there is something to keeping tip systems to a maximum length that I am missing?

I like the idea of chopping up expensive lines though. Besides nobody has flow cred until they have chopped up a fly line that cost over $100! :smokin:

Moreover, the buds in the business want y'all to buy more lines, not fewer lines. :D

·
inglorious 2hander
1,048 Posts
Shouldnt this thread be located in the tackle section instead of the classified...

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Domantas - The 9/10, as is, will do it all. That is "fish dry" and "dredge." The 7/8 will not unless you cut like you mention which means splicing or welding loops. So - if you are willing to do that then you should also be OK with doing the same with a head using any running line that you might have laying around

* A FF45/GPS full line ;):
P6134503.jpg

Anyone interested in NC lines is very likely aware they are heads only by now. *not for sale

1 - 10 of 10 Posts