Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just acquired a 2nd-hand Sage 6126. I've got a 6/7 Delta Long for it. I'll be floating 90% of the time with it, but for the other 10% of the time, would you:
a) cut the DL at around 13' and use the tips I have for a 7/8 multi-tip
b) leave it as is and use sinking polyleaders
c) none of the above.

Thanks for your help.
 

·
Junkyard Spey
Joined
·
7,114 Posts
Cutting the Long Delta

I also vote B. I think you'll find this combo works well but if you don't like it you still have the other options.
 

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
Joined
·
5,533 Posts
Debarb,

I also vote B.

I have the LD 6/7 and fish it on my T&T 1307-3. It will handle one of the 14' Super Fast Sink Airflo polyleaders without any cutting. I have also looped a 15' type VI Rio for #8 to it and it works but is far from pretty.

sinktip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
I have 3 of the long delta's and cut them for tips. Airflo tips are considerably lighter than Rio tips. If your can use Airflo tips in the same weight, turnover is best. When I cut the tip, I weighed it and matched it with other tips. Try to stay to the lighter side for airflo. So for my 8/9 DL I ended up using 7 wt Rio tips. On my 9/10 DL it worked out to about 130 grains. I like using T-14 for really fast and get down deep and quick water so to match the right grains for that line, I use a T-14 tip just shy of 10 feet.

For a lot of tip work with the heavier flies, I'm starting to think that Airflo isn't the best tip line. WC, Skagit or short heads seem to be best.

For low water light flies, they are OK, especially on 65 feet of head. Might go with plan B first and see if it gives you what you need.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,829 Posts
Ed's Tips

Ed Ward keeps the tips the same length, and approximately the same weight by adding a section of floating line. For example, if ten feet of T14 is your max, use 2 feet of #12 joined to 8' of T14, or 4' of #12 joined to 6' of T14. This allows for the same lenth, close enough weight, and varied depth. They seem to work very well. You just have to learn how to join the sections. :hihi: :Eyecrazy:
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top